Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

There Goes A Tenner lyrics

From: Andy Greener <mcvax!ist.co.uk!andy@UUNET.UU.NET>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 88 21:05:39 EDT
Subject: There Goes A Tenner lyrics
Phone: (+44) 1 581 8155
Telex: 928476 ISTECH G

Real-Date: Thu, 7 Apr 88 9:52:10 BST

[ From the Love-Hounds delay queue... -- |>oug ]

Seeing the discussion of the lyrics of "There Goes A Tenner" reminds me;
there is something I think all you North Americans are missing. In verse
"six" the line:

	"A star in strange ways"

should maybe be:

	"A star in Strangeways"

"Strangeways" is a prison (in Manchester I think). This is consistent
with the interpretation of the rest of the verse. In fact, this is
the interpretation I have always put on that line and assumed Kate
did too.

	Andy Greener			Imperial Software Technology
					London, ENGLAND

					andy@ist.co.uk

      [	If there is truly a famous prison called "Strangeways" then it
	does seem clear that Kate must have meant this as a cute pun!
	Thanks for the neat point!  -- |>oug ]