Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Sisters Of Mercy (Alice)

From: ntcsd1.uucp!it.russ@MCNC.ORG (Russell McGuire)
Date: 27 Jun 88 10:16:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Sisters Of Mercy (Alice)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> From: rochester!tropix!scmhcx!ritcv!pxd3563@rutgers.edu (Pat Deupree)

> ... However, the other day I heard a song on the radio that was most
> definatly a Sisters of Mercy song (or at least Hussey was singing
> it).  When the set of songs was over the DJ said that the song was
> "Alice" by Sisters of Mercy.  Well, I had never heard it before and
> I could not find a trace of it on either of my CD's.  So the
> question is has anyone ever heard of the song and if so, where the
> heck is it?  Did they come out with another album or is it the B
> side of a single someplace?

>	[ I don't know specifically where the song "Alice" comes from,
>	  but before *First and Last and Always*, Sisters of Mercy had
>	  lots of EP's.  I read in an interview that Aldritch didn't
>	  believe in albums, so until *First and Last and Always*,
>	  they never put out any.  -- |>oug ]

I've been meaning to dig out my collection of SOM singles since this
was posted so I could give an accurate and complete reply.  I really
got into the Sisters in 1984 when I was living in England.  I saw a
few of their shows which were always a great experience (don't know it
I could call them FUN or MUSICALLY IMPRESSIVE).  I also bought three
of their 12" singles before *First and Last and Always* came out.
Later I bought the *The Reptile House* EP over here.  This early
period Sisters is definitely my favorite.  They were raw, loud, and
sounded like they meant it.  The combination of Andrew Eldritch's
other world vocals (wouldn't want to call it singing), Wayne Hussey's
guitar work, and the constant killer drum machine have never been
matched in my mind.  The new Sisters sound meatless without the guitar
sound that used to be and The Mission stuff sounds too much like other
HM/Led Zep derivatives.  Neither group seems to mean it any more.
Anyway, enough of my opinion, heres the facts as I know them: All the
early stuff, at least, were Merciful Release's.  Up until 1984 the
label was always Merciful Release, no strings attached.  In 1984 WEA
started distributing and the releases became Merciful Release/WEA.
All the early stuff I have has little notes scratched in the vinyl
between the last cut and the label (whats the name for that), these
are humorous at times and are all signed "MRO" (or is this an acronym
for Merciful Release O?).  Other singles (and some albums) I bought
also had similar notes, the most common being "A PORKY PRIME CUT".
Does anyone know the significance of this?

      [	There is this guy in England who masters records.  His name is
	Porky.  On records on which he thinks he did a really fine
	job, he scratches into the run-off area, "A PORKY PRIME CUT".
	I'm told that to confuse matters, there is a different guy who
	when he masters a record and it comes out bad, he also
	engraves "A PORKY PRIME CUT".  -- |>oug ]

I once made a tape of Porky Prime Cuts - a great collection of British
indie stuff - but thats another story.  Below I've listed the singles
I have, their release numbers, the tracks, and the vinyl scratchings.

1983 Merciful Release MR021 - Alice, Floorshow, Phantom, 1969
     FOR SPIGGY (FOREIGN FIELD)
     MEIN IRISCH KIND.  WO WEILEST DU?
     IM WESTEN NICHTS NEUES - JESUS LOVES THE SISTERS
     A PORKY PRIME CUT

1983 Merciful Release MR023 The Reptile House EP
     Kiss, Lights, Valentine, Fix, Burn
     FOR SPIGGY - PAINT IN BLACK (sic)

no date Merciful Release MRX027 Temple of Love (Extended Version),
     Heartland, Gimme Shelter
     notes on label: THANKS TO PONTIAC (GM) DETROIT
                     RISE  AND REVERBERATE
                     SISTERS
     MPO scratching: FOR SPIGGY
                     LONG LIVE GONZOID AMPHETAMINE FILTH

1984 Merciful Release/WEA MR029T (249362 0)
     Body and Soul, Body Electric, Train, Afterhours (no this is not a
                        collection of jazz standards)
     FOR SPIGGY + ALAN VEGA
     ARUN

I've seen *The Reptile House* a few times over here, unfortunately its
the one I'd recommend least out of the lot.  I'd love to see a CD
collection - Sisters of Mercy - The Early Singles.  Maybe K-Tel will
come out with it.

I know there are other pre-First singles out there.  I'd be real
interrested in hearing from anyone who has them - just in case K-Tel
is a bit slow with that CD release.  Anyone know of any non-SOM
Merciful Releases?

rise and reverberate
russ

*My employers have never heard of The Sisters of Mercy or this newsgroup -
  their loss.