Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The latest Love Hounds Digest

From: blblbl!henrik@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca)
Date: 6 Apr 88 17:14:22 GMT
Subject: Re: The latest Love Hounds Digest
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

> Someone in the latest edition was critical of us for listening and
> playing analyst with Kate's music. Let me try to explain it this way:
> Ok, go see a Shakespeare play. Laugh, cry, have a good time. Fine,

Great comparison.  I couldn't agree more.  However, I've often seen
people get stuck on the little points to such a degree that they miss
"the big picture" as it were.  What makes an artist special above
others is not so much their experience but their ability to generalize
it in such a way as many people can relate to it.  For many people, I
think Kate Bush's _Suspended in Gaffa_ does give them the appropriate
feeling - with or without knowing that she has a recording studio in
her backyard.  It's a nice detail to know, but it's not *really*
relevant - much like you don't have to have an incredible grasp on the
politics of Rome to understand the *real* points _Julius Caesar_
makes, and while it is nice to know the details (as it can round out
the story) too much history can cloud the lesson Shakespeare is trying
to teach.

> Someone else (forgive me not giving you credit--I don't have my
> print out in front of me) asked if any of us ever sit and FEEL
> Kate's music-- instead of just ripping it apart and putting it back
> together.

Different people appreciate things in different ways.  I find both ways
useful.

> has made me happy and hopeful.  Kate would probably kill me for it,
> but a tape I made of my remixes was my favorite tape to load into my
> Walkman and listen to while going to the grocery store--takes your
> mind off the price of food these days, I tell ya! :-)

I should certainly hope that Kate Bush wouldn't kill you while
listening to her music in the grocery store - I personally would lose
a lot of respect for someone who insisted that I "properly enjoy art".
Besides, what higher compliment can you give an artist than to infuse
their work into your everyday existance.  _The Dreaming_ is one of a
great many things that get me through the average work day.  I
wouldn't be able to live without nearly constant music - being told
when I could and couldn't listen to what would make me *furious*.

					larry...