Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You blow the safe up

From: Jamie Andrews <jha%lfcs.edinburgh.ac.uk@NSS.Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: 19 Apr 1988 1631-WET (Tuesday)
Subject: You blow the safe up
Fcc: outbox

     I was interested to read IED's and |>0U9's (:-)) theories about
"There Goes A Tenner".  The way I had figured it out, the narrator was
trapped in the rubble after the explosion and had to be painstakingly
dug out of it (before she could be arrested!).  She awakes to find
herself trapped and with some kid crying for his or her mummy because
of the explosion.

      [	I think it's just Kate that wants her mummy because everything
	is going wrong.  -- |>oug ]

She is there all day with the press taking photographs of her, making
her a "star" in strange ways.  The images of falling banknotes are
partly her childhood recollections and partly seeing everything settle
just after the explosion.  Of course this may not fit in with the
video at all, or with any or all of Kate's comments on it.

     But another interesting idea came to me while just thinking about
it now... could it be that the gang were *terrorists*, trying to
*destroy* a large amount of money as an attack on the Government?
Thus "the [Labour?] government [which turned out to be just as corrupt
as all the others, causing them to become anarchists who never vote
for anyone] will never find the money".  Nothing in the song seems to
contradict this, though now I can't remember Kate's comments on it.

     Note that this theory also seems to resolve some of the issues
surrounding my earlier query about who they used to vote for.
Hmmmmm..... verrry interesting.

     Anyway, this is all just trying to make sense of every single
line of the last three bits of the song, which perhaps is not really
necessary.

--Jamie.
  jha@lfcs.ed.ac.uk
"But what about Edward G.?"