Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Propaganda News Flash

From: CSWEET%WPI.BITNET@husc6.harvard.edu
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 88 14:43:22 est
Subject: Propaganda News Flash

        I've just heard from a friend at Purdue that ZTT is forcing
Propaganda back together to finish an album that they had started
before they broke up. Has anyone heard anything about this?

        Just got the Sinead O'Connor Cd single for Mandinka. Along
with the LP version of Mandinka it has Drink Before The War, Mandinka
(inst. Dub), and a non-lp track Still Listening.

> Can anyone give me comments/suggestions about Wolfgang Press?

        Wolfgang Press is a band you should definitely get to know
more about.  I haven't heard their first LP, "Burden Of Mules" but
their second two - "The Legendary Wolfgang Press and Other Tall
Stories" and "Standing Up Straight" are both excellent. I can't
remember which album its on but they do a cover of Aretha Franklin's
"Respect" with Liz Fraser of Cocteau Twins singing backing vocals.
They also have recently put out an EP called `Big Sex' which is very
good. I've heard they have yet another EP out now but I haven't seen
it.

        As for other 4AD acts to listen to: The Mortal Coil are one of
my favorite bands. The material is very diverse on both their albums,
'Filigree and Shadow' and 'It'll End In Tears'.

        On "It'll End In Tears', the first LP the Cocteaus's
contribute to several tracks as do Steven And Martin Young of
Colorbox, Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance, Mar Cox of
Wolfgang Press, Robbie Grey of Modern English, and Howard Devoto (now
of Luxuria) among others. It also includes covers of 2 Alex Chilton
songs (Holocaust and Kangaroo), a Roy Harper song (another day), and a
Colin Newman (of Wire) song (Not Me).
        Filigree And Shadow is a double LP and contains contributions
by Mark Cox and Andrew Grey of Wolfgang Press, all member of Dif Juz,
Simon Raymonde of Cocteaus. Steven Young of Colorbox, and Peter Ulrich
of Dead Can Dance. It contains, among other songs, covers by Judy
Collins (My father), Van Morrison (Come Here My Love), Wire (Alone),
and Talking Heads (Drugs).

        I would reccommend Filigree and Shadow over It'll End In Tears
but both are excellent.

        Another band on 4AD that is great is Throwing Muses. I would
reccomend any of their stuff. The self titled debut LP, the Chains
Changed EP, the Fat Skier EP, or their second LP House Tornado.

        One last band that I think we'll be hearing a lot about soon
on 4AD is the Pixies who have two albums, 'Come On Pilgrim' and
'Surfer Rosa' - all in all very stunning stuff.

	[ I've seen The Pixies twice (before they were famous), and
	  can't remember at all what they are like, other than being
	  mildly entertained.  I guess I wasn't too impressed at the
	  time, but with everyone telling me how great their record
	  is, I must have missed something.  Or have they changed a
	  lot?  (This is the Boston group, right?)  -- |>oug ]