Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Takin' care o' business

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 15:52:19 EST
Subject: Takin' care o' business

Thanks to Trina Pundurs and Peter E. Lee for setting me straight as to
who Kirsty MacColl is.  Peter provided more info concerning her
discography.  Mail me for more info (if you really need it...  :-)

Lazlo Nibble's comments on Oldfield writing pop songs because he likes
to are interesting, but is there any evidence that he realy likes
doing that?  Show me an interview or something.  I don't have any
proof to the contrary, but I don't see any good reason why he should
LIKE doing pop particularly.  He started off doing instrumentals,
obviously he liked doing it.  I thought the move to pop was going to
be purely experimental, but after a few good songs, it started to
dominate his style.  Boring.  As for snob value, I like Oldfield's
instrumentals.  They are quite pleasing.  End.

Lance Larsen:
   Shall I reiterate?  I don't know any Kevin Ayers material.  I'm
coming in blind to this track, as it were.  It sounds OK.  Ayers may
have been a towering genius in his day but this is mediocre pop
sludge.  It's not even sludge, really.  Just moderately inoffensive
stuff.  I think the point I was trying to make is that Oldfield is
capable of so much more... *sigh*.

> While I go out and listen to this track, I'd appreciate it if you
> could give me a sampling of the male vocalists that you think are
> better choices.

Hah!  Where should I start?  Peter Gabriel.  Morrissey (that would be
an interesting pairing!).  Nivek Ogre of Skinny Puppy (_that_ would be
even more interesting!).  Tom Ellard of Severed Heads but only if they
fuzzed and distorted his voice again.  Can you imagine Ellard singing
"Shadow On The Wall"?  :-) How about Donald Fagen?  His voice even
matches Oldfield's style, kinda...  David Gilmour.  Captain Sensible.
Andy Partridge!!!  Stewart Copeland, only he can't sing.  (joke,
sorry).  Adrian Belew.  Peter Hammill.  Dave Wakeling.  Bill Nelson.
Bernard Sumner (of New Order).  Carl Marsh.  Barry Andrews.  Matt
Johnson (of The The).  Jim Kerr (simple minds).  ANY of these people
would cut much more musical ice with me than the likes of Barry
Palmer, Roger Chapman, Jon Anderson, Kevin Ayers, Jim Price and Max
Bacon.

Oh yeah, add Bryan Ferry to that list above. (of good singers, that
is).

He's done pretty well for females.  Anita Hegerland, Maggie Reilly,
Clodagh Simonds.  Pretty good track record.  But BONNIE TYLER!?!?
ACK!  My dream list for his female singers include: Kate Bush, Jane
Siberry, Sinead O'Connor, Claudia Brucken.

Oldfield can do really amazing stuff.  He should try and remember how.
Jon Drukman                        BITNET: jsd@umass
209-C2 McNamara                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University Of Massachusetts           (or) jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003                  PHONE: 413-546-4262
"I'm charging you with murder, the murder of love..." - propaganda