Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

ahem.....

From: Consult%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 88 14:09:18 EST
Subject: ahem.....

I realize that this is not the forum for synth talk...but i feel i
deserve a chance to defend myself against Mike Metlay's flame....

Dear Mike,
Well....for all your intelligence, you managed to totally misinterpret
my letter regarding synth buying.  I did not even bring up the
Fairlight!  I would Never suggest to a beginning buyer to buy a
Fairlight! That is just a stupid thought!  And actually, Kate is quite
a good Fairlight user.  When you look at HoL, you must remember that a
good deal of the pieces are just repeative drum patterns with chord
washes over them.  But what Chords!  The richness of her sounds far
outways the lack of complexity!  (not that I think Kate is
non-complex....) but anyway....

Mike, I have no idea how you have got the notion that samplers use
less memory then synths...that is..if that is what you wanted to
say....  I wasn't sure...

About a year ago...the typical synth did pack more punch for the
dollar than a sampler...this is no longer true!  The punch you get
from a sampler comes in the richness and complexity of the sound.  I
own a synth...but I wish I had a sampler...because the sound can be so
amazing.  Synths are important...I have been programming for over
three years and have yet to get tired of it....but samplers allow a
person with NO programming skills to get tremendous sounds right away!
And if the person cannot get good samples you can buy excellent
ones.(not that I encourage this)

The idea that you absolutely need a computer to get anything good out
of a sampler is also a false statement.  I have worked with samplers
in large and small studios.  Only recently did I get a computer that
would allow visual editing...but that did not stop me from creating
EXCELLENT sounds....true...a computer can allow nice things like
Additive Synth.  stuff from software...but it is hardly a
necessity....

And lastly, I'm glad the person is happy with their synth....I would
be interested to know what he or she got....I just wish, Mike, that
you would realize how much sampling has progressed and see it as a
wonderful solution to the "thin-home-studio sound"....

But....you were right on your last point...this conversation does not
belong here in love hounds.....so if you want to argue further...just
write to me direct....I'll be glad to set you straight.....

<I know I forgot to flame on.....but I will flame off now>
Damian Roskill
Bitnet: Sleeple@Umass