Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New Mike Oldfield album

From: cks@radio.toronto.edu (Chris Siebenmann)
Date: 25 Jan 88 04:51:30 GMT
Subject: Re: New Mike Oldfield album
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

[Warning: There is no Kate Bush talk here. Only Mike Oldfield talk.]

> From: harvard!zinn!mem@ATHENA.MIT.EDU (Mark E. Mallett)

>> Has anyone heard the new Mike Oldfield album?  I just heard that it
>> was released in Europe but I can't find it in any stores in New
>> York.

> It was written up in the latest (an 1988) Keyboard magazine.  As a
> matter of fact, it made the "Soundpage", a little vinyl record
> inserted in the magazine that contains featured music each month.

> Keyboard says that "Islands" will be released in Jan 1988.  They
> give its catalog # as Virgn 1-90645.

Now this is really odd. Something called "Islands" has been out in
Canada ever since November or so (LP) or early December (CD). Prior to
its Canadian availability, I heard some mention on rec.music.misc of
a) a new EP called "Islands" and b) a CD called "Islands", with more
music than a). The CD was claimed to be ~50 minutes long; my Canadian
CD is 41:27 long, and appears to have the same 7 songs as the Canadian
LP.

Does anyone know what's really happening here? My CD bears the catalog
number CDV2466, if this is any help; I don't know what catalog number
the LP has. This is especially puzzling as Canada normally gets new
releases after the US does, not before.

--
	"I shall clasp my hands together and bow to the corners of the world."
			Number Ten Ox, "Bridge of Birds"