Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1988-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She really shake you donkey up, quite a packet.

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 87 11:13:50 EST
Subject: She really shake you donkey up, quite a packet.

John Rossi writes:

> However, in that 2 or so years I have to admit that I am
> becomming more and more impressed with Madonna.

Eeks!  OK, I am forced to admit that I liked a few of the early singles.
But since my sister bought her latest album and subjected me to it, I
must say that I HATE IT!

> Granted, it is pop at its comercial extreme, but it makes for easy
> listening.  The pervasive latin rhythms which highlight much of
> Madonna's recent work are quite tastefully done.

The latin rhythms are a joke.  Her music is a joke.  She doesn't even
write most of it.  All the aforementioned early stuff that I liked
even one whit was mostly written by her producers.  Enough said.  I
don't like Madonna and I don't want to deny others rights to like her,
but I do so enjoy flaming a little now and then...

Turning to Dr. Megabyte's saner comments:

> _One Of Our Submarines_ sounds really cool played backwards.

> The strange thing is that you can tell what it is.

That's not so strange.  That song is so distinctive that you could
tell it anywhere and in any direction.  Also, most songs are
recognizable backwards.

Dave Hsu's comments on Madonna were appreciated.

Anyone who professes the slightest interest in XTC should instantly
run out and buy "The Big Express" on CD.  Flawless sound and
incredible songs (definitely the front runner for "best xtc album").
Unfortunately it is still import-only.  But it's worth the trip!

Jon Drukman                     BITNET: jsd@umass
403 Thatcher                   ARPANET: jsd%umass.bitnet@mitvma.mit.edu
University Of Massachusetts        (or) jsd%oz@mc.lcs.mit.edu
Amherst, MA  01003             MA BELL: 413-546-4652
          " I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure. "