Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

HRH Kate

From: "Neil B. M. Calton" <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 87 11:27:14 gmt
Subject: HRH Kate

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> Subject: misK., and KT NEWS

> there are now seven tracks in a "nearly complete state", and "many"
> of these seven are "'up-tempo'".  So now, folks -- give your
> imaginations free reign. IED is waiting to read your ideas: What's
> _KBVI_ going to be like?

Brilliant of course, and probably quite unlike any previous albums
though since one person's definition of "up-tempo" is likely to vary
quite widely it is difficult to suggest any definite comparisons. I
shall go out on a limb and predict the complete absence of any
explicit themes or concepts (e.g. The Ninth Wave) in preference for a
set of tracks which tackle a wide range of issues. In commercial terms
I would expect this to be Kate's "So" and I would not be surprised to
see some overtly political statements in at least one of the tracks
(possibly on the theme of apartheid). I also predict that I shall have
to ignominiously disappear from Lovehounds when the above statements
turn out to be 100% incorrect.

>     The other tidbit is in the _HG_ "Medialog" section: They list a
> recent UK airing of a _50-minute_ interview show with Kate "at the
> Palladium" (IED guesses the Amnesty concerts? Can't remember off
> hand). So there's some good new video out there.

IED guesses correctly that the Palladium interview was the Amnesty
concerts.  However, it should be pointed out that the interview was on
Music Box, a cable channel. In GB cable TV is about as widespread as
Iranian takeaways in the States so I doubt whether more than a handful
of Kate fans saw it and I would not expect vast numbers of videos to
be circulating in the future.

> From: Gregory J E Rawlins <rawlins@IUVAX.CS.INDIANA.EDU>
> Subject: Desperately Seeking Music

> (2) there was a discussion on love-hounds a long while back about
> the Cocteau Twins, which album do you suggest i start with (on CD if
> possible)?

All of them. If you really just want a sampler to start off with there
is a compilation "The Pink Opaque" which contains a tracks from the
first 4 albums plus singles and EPs. In the UK this was only released
on CD as it was principally designed for the American market.
Otherwise try Treasure" or "Garlands". All the Cocteaus albums are
available on CD. You should also try out This Mortal Coil's two CDs
and the "Lonely as an Eyesore" 4AD compilation.

> (4) have _The Smiths_ or _The Dead Kennedys_ put any of their albums
> on CD?

All The Smiths albums should be available on CD (they are over here
anyway).

Be seeing you.