Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: FM (The Group, not radio...)

From: calgary!chmilar@UUNET.UU.NET (Michael Chmilar)
Date: 2 Oct 87 21:27:11 GMT
Subject: Re: FM (The Group, not radio...)

> From: sun!sputnik!kmr@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Karl MacRae)
>
> Does anybody out there remember a Canadian group called FM?

I used to like FM many years ago.  Here is brief history:

1st album:
  Title: _Black_Noise_
  Lineup: Cameron Hawkins (synth, bass), Nash the Slash (electric
	  mandolin, violin), Martin Deller (percussion).
  Notes: A very "sci-fi" album, lyrically.

2nd album:
  Title: _Head_Room_
  Lineup: Ben Mink replaced Nash on same instruments.
  Notes: Instrumental, recorded direct-to-disc.  A nice piece
	 of work.

3rd album:
  Title: _Surveillance_
  Lineup: No change.
  Notes: A little boring.

4th album:
  Title: _City_of_Fear_
  Lineup: No change.
  Notes: Heavy-metal mandolin?

5th album:
  Title: ?
  Lineup: Mink's out, Nash returns.
  Notes: The band gets together after many years apart.  They release
	 a "commercial" single.  It stinks.  They make a video.  It
	 REALLY stinks!

Other stuff: Nash has done various solo ventures, none particularly
successful (but I hear he's big in Germany, or some such nonsense).
Ben Mink recorded a nice instrumental solo album, called
_Foreign_Exchange_ and is now a member of K.D. Lang's band.  Hawkins
and Deller have never been heard of outside of FM.  A shame, because I
have always thought that Deller was a pretty wasty drummer.

Sorry, but I don't have any dates, labels, etc. because this is
strictly off the top of my head.  I am not entirely sure that there
was an actual fifth "album", but the rest is 100% correct!