Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Clubs and records stores ... in Phoenix

From: Lippard@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 87 14:37 MST
Subject: Re: Clubs and records stores ... in Phoenix

> From: infidel%ucscl.UCSC.EDU@UCSCC.UCSC.EDU (Steven L. Sheffield)

> i will be in phoenix for christmas this year ... yes, i know christmas
> is a long time away, but i like to be prepared ... which brings me to
> the point ... what are good clubs and record stores there for
> alternative music ... you people should know the stuff i listen to by
> now ...

Record stores:
 Zia Records, three locations (19th ave. and Thunderbird,
   19th ave. and Indian School, Mill and University)
 Tower Records, now three locations (19th ave. and Montebello,
   Mill and University, 40th St. and Thomas).  The latter is the new
   one and has a good selection of obscure CDs (Au Pairs, Butthole Surfers,
   Circle Jerks, Einstuerzende Neubauten, etc.)
 Stinkweeds - a new place in the Tempe/Mesa area I've heard good things
   about but haven't actually visited

Clubs:
 The Jar, 23rd St. and Indian School-- recent/upcoming shows include
   Sonic Youth, Salem 66, Volcano Suns
 Anderson's Fifth Estate, 68th St. and 5th ave. in Scottsdale-- recent
   shows include Mojo Nixon, 10,000 Maniacs
 Prisms, 3029 N. Alma School--an "all-age nightclub", has occasional hardcore
   shows
 Deja Vue, 7th ave. and Camelback--recent shows include New Model Army,
   Lords of the New Church
 CRASH, ~2000 S. 7th Ave--a warehouse where all the underground poets and
   musicians hang out: performance art, shows like SPK, Skinny Puppy, etc.

When you get here, pick up a copy of the weekly New Times (comes out every
Wednesday) for details on what's going on where.

 Jim Lippard
 Honeywell Bull
 Lippard at MULTICS.MIT.EDU