Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You never know what you've got till it's gone

From: "Neil B. M. Calton" <mcvax!vd.rl.ac.uk!nbc@UUNET.UU.NET>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 87 11:30:43 bst
Subject: You never know what you've got till it's gone

> Incidentally, until such time as Love-Hounds is once again being
> distributed with a reasonable degree of regularity, IED will not be
> able to give the same kind of loyal support for it that he has in the
> past. This news will no doubt delight many of those readers who aren't
> seriously interested in Kate and her career. The rest of you, however,
> might want to investigate further.

> -- Andrew Marvick <IED0DXM.UCLAMVS.BITNET>)

If this is an invitation to send you mail Andrew then I'm afraid when
I have tried to mail you in the past for information I got a message
saying I was not authorised to use BITNET.

> From: FULIGIN%UMass.BITNET@MITVMA.MIT.EDU
> Subject: XTC discography
> (Note please : any elaborations, corrections, or additions welcome)

>"Life Begins At The Hop"/"Homo Safari" (VS259; 4/79)

Not sure if its relevant but my copy was on clear vinyl with a plastic
outer sleeve and a fold-out inner cardboard sleeve.

Anyway, thanks for the informative listings.

> From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

> Finally, IED is now BEGGING Doug to do something about the chronic
> delays in distributing Love-Hounds. The whole purpose of
> Love-Hounds, IED thought, was to allow for daily, or at least
> reasonably swift exchange of information and opinions about music.
> These repeated eight-day and ten-day delays in transmission are
> killing Love-Hounds, and frustrating a growing number of
> readers/writers to the group.

While I sympathise with IED I'd like to make a few (pro-Doug) comments:

The recent delays may be frustrating to US Lovehounds but they are
nothing new to British readers (and I dare say those in other parts)
whose digests have to pass through several machines before they land
in our mail boxes. Messages I have sent to Lovehounds can take up to
10 days to appear. Likewise, the arrival of digests can be patchy at the
best of times (auto-pilot or not). Obviously, the longer the backbone the
more likely it is that delays or total loss of material will occur.
Both machines and software do crash.

Personally, I am very happy to recieve love-hounds at anytime and
continue to marvel that they arrive at all (well I am a Comms.
programmer!!).  I'd just like to thank Doug for providing this service
in the first place, and helping to spread the gospel according to
Kate. It may be a cliche but better late than never seems appropriate
in this case.

       [ Gee, thanks!  I am sorry I've been kinda flakey for a while,
	 but it does take lots of time to run this mailing list..  And
         often when I thought "Gee, I have some spare time....  I can
	 either wade through my mailboxes or go take off my clothes
	 and snuggle up close to my beautiful girlfriend..."  The
	 latter choice often won out....  Now, however, I don't have
	 to worry about the dilemma. -- |>oug]

Be seeing you (I hope!).