Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stewart/Gaskin

From: sun!toto!duane@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Duane Day [Do you guys know _Proud Mary_?])
Date: 16 Sep 87 07:47:23 GMT
Subject: Stewart/Gaskin

First off, allow me to thank Rob Rosen for being the only person to
respond to my recent posting on Gentle Giant.  Nobody else out there?

Second, allow me to apologize if the following has been said before...

Allow me to heartily recommend a truly unique disc (CD format only)

Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin - Up From The Dark

This is Dave Stewart the keyboardist who used to be in Bruford, not
David A. Stewart of Eurythmics.  I believe Gaskin is his wife.
Together, they are English post-Progressive music's answer to the
Carpenters.  Truly the weirdest version I've heard of "It's My Party",
along with a few Motown-era soul tunes, a fascinating cover of XTC's
"Roads Girdle the Globe", a similarly appealing cover of Thomas
Dolby's "Leipzig", "The Siamese Cat Song" (I believe that one's from
Lady and the Tramp - "we are Siamese if you please, we are Siamese if
you don't please...") transformed almost beyond recognition, along
with several Stewart originals.  A fine supporting cast of players
includes Bruford, Pip Pyle, Georgie Born on cello and Jakko (no, not
Jaco, the bassist; Jakko the guitarist).  Disc is on Rykodisc in US.

Dave Stewart is probably the most innovative arranger of other
people's material I know of.  His own tunes are great, too.  Gaskin
has a rich, velvety voice.

If anyone knows of any other work by Stewart and Gaskin that's
available, I'd appreciate a note...

And yes, sooner or later I'll think of something to say about the
magnificent Kate that someone else probably hasn't already said
better.  'Til then...

Duane

--
************************ |UUCP: {hplabs, decwrl}!sun!{misun, toto}!duane