Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Australian rock

From: gregr@basser.oz (Gregory John Ryan)
Date: 11 Sep 87 10:40:46 GMT
Subject: Re: Australian rock

> [...]  By no means are domestic groups the idols of Australian young
> people.  The singer for the well-known Australian rock group INXS,
> Jenny Morris, admits [...]

Although Jenny Morris has toured with INXS as a backing vocalist, she
is not a band member as such.  She used to front QED, but is now solo.

> Genuine Australian music is the music of the Aborigines [...] Often
> they simply perform in bars on an agreement with the owners [...]

As do most bands in Sydney without access to the tightknit "Agency"
setup or multinational sponsorship.  I'm sure the situation is similar
anywhere with a comepetitive live scene.  No other comments, I just
thought I'd set some facts straight.