Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Bears

From: sg08+@andrew.cmu.edu (Stephan Greene)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 87 12:45:52 edt
Subject: Re: The Bears

I picked up the CD of the Bears the other week. It is currently my favorite
album! I can't recommend it highly enough. It was digitally recorded at a new
studio somewhere in Wisconsin. The sound is excellent and you can make out
the words fairly easily. Adrian Belew likes this studio so much that he has
moved to Wisconsin to be near it.

I may be crazy, but I would describe the Bears as Industrial Pop. This album
has that definite Ohio-based industrial/punk/new-wave sound made famous by
Pere Ubu, Anton Fier/Palominos, DEVO, Chrissie Hynde, etc. So you have this
metal-clanking, screaching Belew guitar licks kind of sound accompanied by
catchy pop-oriented melodies and great harmonies on the vocals.

The album also features Bill Jansen (sp?) playing sax on two tunes. Bill is
the amazing multi-instrumentalist that toured with Belew in support if his
first two solo albums, with the Twang Barkers.

It's out on Primitive Man Recording Company (PMRC) records, in case you need
to special order it.

-Stephan Greene
sg08+@andrew.cmu.edu

FEAR IS NEVER BORING!