Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds Digest

From: agent99!hsu (Dave Hsu)
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 87 21:50:04 EDT
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds Digest

>Date: Tue, 1 Sep 87 09:23:37 EDT
>From: whizzo (David Hardy)
>
>I may be visiting Washington, DC soon and was wondering if anyone
>knows what the best record stores are there.  I know I've seen DC
>clubs and things mentioned here but don't remember record stores.
>                                                  >>> Dave

I'm afraid I'm only familiar with the stores on the Maryland side of
the stream, and it sort of depends what you're looking for.  If you
want:
	(1) cheap CD's
		The Wiz (Rockville, I think 2 stores in DC)
		Penguin Feather (mostly in Northern VA)
	(2) selection (still CD's)
		Tower Records (ugh! 20th and Penn. Ave, basically on
			the George Washington University campus)
		Olsson's Records & Books (whse. in Rockville, various
			other locations)
	(3) worthwhile stores for various reasons that are likely to
	    appeal to a reader of this group
		Phantasmagoria (Wheaton, University Blvd 2 blocks east
			of Wheaton Plaza)
		Yesterday & Today Records (Rockville Pike next to the
			Woodmont Country Club, a must visit site if you
			need 45's, otherwise just very interesting)
	(4) wanker stores of some interest, but not much
		Vinyl Ink (and adjacent Compact Discovery, Silver Spring on
			Georgia Ave.; you can probably live without)
	(5) mostly disposable local chains that are occasionally interesting
		Kemp Mill Records (everywhere)
		Waxie Maxies (also everywhere)
	(6) misc
		The Record Coop (College Park, Student Union bldg, U Md.)

Good luck.  It's a jungle out there.

-dave