Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

XTC

From: page@ULOWELL.CS.ULOWELL.EDU (Bob Page)
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 87 05:15:47 EDT
Subject: XTC

Just to add my two cents, I'd say English Settlement (the 2-disc
Virgin version) is XTC's PG3/Sgt Pepper, so far.  I'm surprised at the
mentions of Mummer and The Big Express as being some of their best
work, as I leaned more towards the early (D&W, BS, Go2) stuff.

Peter and Joe both mentioned most of XTC's stuff, but didn't mention a
couple of things (just trying to be complete) .. one is an EP that
came out right on the heels (within a month or two, I think) of
English Settlement, called "5 Senses."  It's got stuff on it that
doesn't appear on ES ... similar in style and quality.  I don't
recall if any of the songs made it onto the Beeswax LP.

The other is a couple of 12" discs that came out with funny lines all
over the jacket cover ... it sounded pretty experimental, lotsa
African riddums and such.  Andy Partridge does Brian Eno.

	Prevention is better than cure
	Bad apples affecting the pure
	You'll gather your senses I'm sure
	And a a a a a agree to ...