Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tiswas/Go West

From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 87 10:50:43 bst
Subject: Tiswas/Go West

>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
> (extracts from Needs' Zig Zag interview)
>     It's good that you've got a big following among very young
>kids and are doing this, cos they'll have to know more than just
>Janet and John books and "Tiswas" [British children's television
>programme. -- AM] soon...

I have to admit to being a former Tiswas addict. Although ostensibly a
TV programme for kids it went out on saturday mornings on ITV and
gained a massive cult following amongst teenagers and adults. It was
often incredibly funny, a kind of Marx Bros. for the seventies and featured
Chris Tarrant, Lenny Henry, Sally James, Roger Gorman and Bob Carrolgies
(with Spit the dog!). It also featured some excellent bands (punk, reggae,
heavy metal, Two-Tone) who also joined in the general mayhem of the show
which usually included getted flanned or drenched in water. Sounds corny
I know, but it actually worked.

>Egypt, then getting set upon by two nasty "Phantom Flan Flinger"-like

Clearly Needs was a regualar watcher as well.
The Phantom was one of the featured characters in Tiswas and it was usual for
him to attack the guests. Most of the cast later adapted Tiswas to a completely
adult format in the show OTT which went out late night on saturdays and
featured the occassional bare breast and nude male balloon dancers amongst
other things. This show was much less funny and only lasted one series.

According to a press report Go West are releasing 'The King is Dead' as a
single (in GB) next week. This is the song which features Kate on vocals.

Thanks to those who sent me recommendations for TM and DCD material.

Be seeing you.