Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KTKTKTKTKTKTKT....

From: ganzer@TROUT.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 87 22:55:03 PDT
Subject: KTKTKTKTKTKTKT....

ME AND MY BIG MOUTH! I make a joke about a comment Rossi made in his
last posting, only to find out that he passed away shortly thereafter.
My apologies to fellow Love-Hounds for my poor timing. John definitely
will be missed.

> --Jon Drukman
> "Am I yours?  Are you mine?
>  We'll find what we're meant to find..."

ARRRGGH!!! Jon has come up with the solution to the line of "Be Kind
to My Mistakes" that has puzzled me for months! Listening to it again,
it's obvious that what's the line was. My mind got fixed on one idea,
and I couldn't hear the obvious. NOW it makes sense....

>> Not so.  The main offender was the opening tune, "Wuthering Heights."
>> This song, which used to be bizarre and great, had become bizarre
>> and putrid.  I suspected that I'd bought Pat Benatar's cover, but
>> no mention of her name in the credits.  The only thing in its favor

> Well, I think it's a distinct improvement.  Much more sophisticated
> production. ....

I agree with Jon here. However, every time I hear the opening line of
the new vocal, I can't help but think I am listening to Faith Brown's
parody of the original "field" video :-) The rest of the track is a
distinct improvement, however.

> From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
> Subject:  Was kate a headbanger or what?

> ....  While leafing through the jewel booklet, I noticed that
> on the last page with the other credits was a line that said:
>          "This album was made to be played loud"

> Now, what struck me as odd is that the line, while in the Dreaming
> type style, seemed smaller, and not in line with the other credits,
> as if some- one had stuck it in after the first draft of the page
> had been printed.  Anyone else notice this?  I have the domestic CD,
> if that means anything.

Now that you mention it, my import copy of the CD is the same way.
Actually most of Kate's music from Never For Ever on really shines
when the volume is turned up. All the little details and mood-setting
parts start to come out. I never was impressed with "Experiment 4"
until I got a chance to really crank up the volume on the 12" version,
whereupon all the eerie feelings associated with the story started to
come out. It was the same eerie feeling I got when listening to "Get
Out of My House" (although it did not jerk my emotions around like
GOoMH did, something I consider the main difference between 'The
Dreaming' and Kate's later work).  I would assume that she works in
the studio listening to the tapes at a loud volume, and thus writes
and mixes her songs so that they sound "right" at that volume. Thus
the note is there to help the listener fully appreciate the album.

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer

      [	Kate has said that music should be listened the way it was meant to
	be listened: LOUD!  -- |>oug ]