Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

then it up and disappears

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 87 02:02:52 EDT
Subject: then it up and disappears
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>
>Peter, your priorities are at cross purposes. You feel that
>those short stories of Kate's aren't very good -- stories that
>Kate obviously dashed off at one sitting each. Then in the same
>breath you say that you wish she would "hurry up" with the next
>album! The LAST thing you -- or anyone who appreciates
>Kate's music -- should want is for her to hurry up!

Anticipation...it's making me wait...

>But they ARE interesting from the point of view of the
>student of Kate Bushology. The imagery and the prose style are
>particularly illuminating, in relation to various songs. And parts
>of each are really quite effective, not for their story content but
>for their creation of atmosphere. The same has been said of a number
>of less than successful stories by some of the best short story writers
>in history. Some of Poe's "horror" stories which fail to horrify, for
>example, are nonetheless much admired for their effects of atmosphere and
>power of language, both of which qualities are present to some degree in
>Kate's little stories, as well.

Sigh, it required the sensibilities of the French to bring Poe back
into the eye of the 19th century English-speaking world.  And yet, no
matter how hard I try, there are those who still refuse to accept Our Kate
of Perennial Warmth as their personal savior...meanwhile, Richard
Clayderman remains the best-selling "musician" on the face of the earth.
There Ain't No Justice.

The stories?  Hmmm...the first one was a bit too fairytale-ish for my
tastes, but the imagery in the second story is remarkable for a rush
job.  Barter system: I'll ignore the abundance of "It..." and "I..."'s
in exchange for more descriptions of these little shopping scenes and
the like.

>Subject: KaTemas
>Really-From: JDTURN%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
>          (Joe Turner)
>
>The second annual Love-Hounds Katemas party went off Friday evening
>with about 20 or 30 people in attendance.  Many thanks to Dave Hsu,
>Doug Alan, Michael Knight, Jon Drukman, etc etc etc for bringing food
>and helping out.  The Bush Bash was a great success and I, for one, am
>looking forward to next year's.

The First Cambridge Love-Hounds Bank thanks you for doing business with
us.  We'll be out to repossess your home, KaTian treasures, and ten
pounds of grapes soon enough.  Have a nice day :-)

And maybe next year, I'll be sufficiently civilized as not to bum a
ride off |>oug just as he's leaving.  Sorry 'bout that.

>For thoose who are wondering: the house was clean and spotless at 10am
>the next morning, leaving nothing for any suspicious parents to worry
>about.

You obviously didn't check in the...oh, never mind.

Kate is God!  Cooper-pairs are history!  I'm beat!
zzzz,

-dave
--
David Hsu				devoted aKolyTe