Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Henry Threadgill

From: dlb@stcvax.UUCP (David Black)
Date: 4 Aug 87 23:25:05 GMT
Subject: Henry Threadgill
Newsgroups: rec.music.misc, rec.music.gaffa

excerpted without permission from _The Nation_ July 18/25, 1987

Henry Threadgill by Gene Santoro

"... in the music Threadgill writes for and performs with his trio, Air,
his Sextett, his WindString Ensemble, his orchestra and his dance band,
as well as the film and radio and dance projects he's scored, you'll
catch echoes of the strangest things caroming off one another.  Whether
in his dense, swinging compositions or in his virtuosic excursions on
reed and flute, these meetings - between Stravinsky and King Curtis,
B-movie soundtracks and Muddy Waters, Bach and Ornette Coleman - help
create a unique and powerful voice. ..."

My typing falters but you should check out the rest of the article
about the wonderful saxophonist/flautist/composer Henry Threadgill
and some of the music listed below.  I haven't heard all of them and
I've liked everything that I've heard so far but I think I like the
density of the music from the Sextett best.

Selected Discography: (from the article)

with the Sextett
	You Know the Number (RCA/Novus)
	Subject to Change (About Time)
	Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket (About Time)
	When Was That? (About Time)
with Air
	Air Show No. 1 (Black Saint)
	New Air (Black Saint)
	80 degrees Below '82 (Antilles)
	Live Air (Black Saint)
	Air Raid (India Navigation)
	Air Song (India Navigation)
with Muhal Richard Abrams
	Young at Heart/Wise in Time (Delmark)
with Sly and Robbie (yes!)
	Rhythm Killers (Island)
--
	  David Black
          Storage Technology (Disk Division), Louisville, CO.