Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ktrivia

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 87 19:04 PDT
Subject: Ktrivia

>This is a big surprise. How come Reg and Bern get such an accolade
>when mightier beings than they have not been thus honoured? It is
>especially curious since the great bald one is still hammering away
>on the old joanah (and going downhill faster than Watford). I smell
>filthy lucre somewhere along the line rather than a tribute to real
>artists. I mean John Lennon wrote a good tune or two: where was the
>big-name tribute to him?
>
>-- Neil Calton

IED hates to take issue with his favourite UK Love-Hound, but
Neil, come on -- Lennon's songs have been covered by more artists
than practically anyone else on earth (except maybe McCartney).
Elton John's have been terribly under-covered and underrated for many
many years, and if his work since the late seventies has been basically
a rather sad and tired re-hash of his most frivolous early stuff,
that still leaves him with about eight years and ten albums of
superior, sometimes groundbreaking pop rock. Among those albums
are a surprisingly large number of powerful individual recordings,
and IED for one thinks a tribute album is well deserved.

Besides, Kate was deeply into Elton John during her teens, and her
own piano style was directly influenced by his. Even if you discount
the innate worth of his own music, its influence on the greatest living
artist is enough to lend his work considerable value.

Unfortunately, "WR: Mysteries of the Organism" is still not
available on video, to the best of IED's knowledge.

If anyone really wants to read (or re-read) one or more of the
KT interviews/stories that have appeared in Love-Hounds over the
past couple of months, and can't get them through Love-Hounds'
Archives, he/she may obtain copies through personal request to IED.

Thanks to Zayed Hanna for the notes on the PG/KT one-shot performance.
Much appreciated. Now, does anyone know whether that concert is coming
out on a bootleg tape/record in the near future?

>From: Madurai S. Srirma <osu-eddie!msriram@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
>Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
>Subject: Reincarnation
>In an earlier posting someone pointed out that reincarnation is not a
>particularly esoteric belief, since it is the fundamental tenet of
>Buddhism which is practiced by millions of people.

It was IED; and thank you very much for the clarification re Hinduism
et al.

A West Coast KT party? Given by someone other than IED? He'll believe
it when(/if) he's invited.

The new two-record KT bootleg album which IED described briefly
in a recent L-Hs posting is called "Passing Through Air", and
includes a lot of Kate's b-sides and re-mixes, plus the video
mix of "Cloudbusting", and the edit of "Hounds of Love" which Kate
used for the lip-synch performance of the song for the 1986 BPIs --
misidentified in the album listing as a "live" version. Also
misidentified is the "Meteorological Mix" of "The Big Sky" as
"The Astrological Mix"; a mistake not apparently motivated by
bootlegger's caution, since all the other tracks are clearly
identified as the official releases they once were.

There is only one piece of truly valuable new music on this two-record
set (or new to IED, anyway): the last track on the album is
the live version of "Let It Be" from about 1980/81, which Kate
performed with Steve Harley and Peter Gabriel, and which appeared
on a Japanese Fan Club flexi-disc. However, the present recording
is twice the length of the "official" version, fading out much nearer to
the end of the performance. The original source for this performance
is the same cheap in-audience tape which was used by the KBC for their
flexi-disc.

-- Andrew