Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pocket-size man

From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 87 17:42:30 bst
Subject: Pocket-size man

>From: hughm@shadow.Berkeley.EDU (Hugh Maher)
>In the latest issue of Billboard, one of the columns
>reports that an "Elton John/Bernie Taupin 20 year Tribute Album"
>is in the works which will consist of a bunch of big-name UK
>artists doing covers of their songs. The first cover they mentioned
>was a cover of "Rocket Man" by Kate to be included on the album.

This is a big surprise. How come Reg and Bern get such an accolade
when mightier beings than they have not been thus honoured? It is
especially curious since the great bald one is still hammering away
on the old joanah (and going downhill faster than Watford). I smell
filthy lucre somewhere along the line rather than a tribute to real
artists. I mean John Lennon wrote a good tune or two: where was the
big-name tribute to him?

(Anyway, thanks for the news).

     [ If this news will offer any consolation, there is a recent Syd
       Barret tribute album....  --|>oug ]