Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: music for dance request

From: Jim Jones <jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 87 0:10:08 EDT
Subject: Re: music for dance request

 Note to L-H readers: I tried to send this directly, but my mail was
 returned each time.  I'm posting the response here hoping, that Kathy
 Moris reads rec.music.gaffa or is on the L-H mailing list.  Besides,
 this may be of general interest anyway (... well, it *could* be!).
 Her request was for "love songs" with strong female vocal tracks.

 Note to K.M: What did I screw-up? :-)  Some mailer-daemon at Stanford
 insists that "moris@navajo.stanford.edu" is invalid??  If you've not
 received any (or very few) responses then perhaps others are having
 trouble replying as well.  (God I hope it's not a simple typo...)

 ---------------------- re-sent mail follows
 I have a few suggestions for you.

 Joan Armtrading "Personna Grata" from "Secret Secrets"
 -- Not exactly your standard love song, but quite powerful.  One of
 -- my all-time favorite songs.

 Joan Armatrading "Reach Out" from "Sleight of Hand"
 -- Great lyrics, perhaps difficult to dance to though(?)

 Eurythmics "There Must be an Angel", "I Love You Like a Ball and Chain",
   "It's Alright-(Baby's Coming Back)"  all from "Be Yourself Tonight"

 Eurythmics "Wrap It Up" from "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This"
 -- sort of a macho-love song; may be of interest depending on the
 -- statement your friend is trying to make.

 Eurythmics "Right By Your Side" from "Touch"
 -- Calypsoid rythms, infintely danceable but perhaps too simple(?)

 Eurythmics "Julia" from "1984 (For the Love of Big Brother)" soundtrack
 -- Beautiful song, heavy use of vocal harmonies with no percussion.

 Eurythmics "The Miracle of Love", "When Tomorrow Comes", "Take Your
   Pain Away" all from "Revenge"

 Marti Jones "If I Could Walk Away", "Show and Tell", "Follow You All
   Over the World" all from "Unsophisticated Time"
 -- Marti Jones (no relation :-) has a terrific voice.  If you can't
 -- find this album, it'd probably be well worth scanning through her
 -- second album "Match Game" for material.

 Sade "Is it a Crime", "The Sweetest Taboo", "Tar Baby", "Maureen"
   all from "Promise"
 -- "Maureen" is especially nice.

 I also thought some Bonnie Raitt might work well, but looking at my
 albums started to make me feel old...  Needless to say, I quickly
 put them up.  Hope this helps.  As you can tell I'm quite the Eurythmics
 fan.  I'd be interested in hearing what other people suggested as well
 as what your friend ends up using.

 -jj

 UUCP:  {ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs}!jhunix!ecf_ujaj
 ARPA:  jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa
 BITNET:  L64A0110@jhuvm