Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: music for dance request

From: pixar.UUCP!pixar!dingo@cgl.ucsf.edu (Ranjit Bhatnagar)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 87 00:04:43 PDT
Subject: Re: music for dance request

> One of my housemates does modern dance, and she's looking for some
> music to choreograph for.  What she really wants is a love song,
> sung by a woman with a strong voice (not a ``someone done me wrong''
> thing, it should be more positive).  She likes Laurie Anderson, but
> I don't think that's what she's looking for for this dance.  Given
> that she also likes Peter Gabriel, I thought perhaps there'd be some
> Kate Bush track that'd work.  Any suggestions, Bush'ian or
> otherwise?  Reply by mail or post to L-H.  If anyone's interested,
> I'll post a summary.

A couple of songs by the Raincoats I thought would be neat
to choreograph - esp. "Dancing In My Head" (or was it "My Spirit
is Dancing?"  Both phrases occur within the song...) because the title
is appropriate - but I don't know how much your housemate would
like this music.  I don't remember if the pieces I thought good
for dance were love songs or not.  You might look into this...
The album is "Odyshape."

Oh yeah, there's Danielle Dax - now THAT's a strong voice.  On the one
album I have, there are no love songs, so I can't suggest a particular
one, though I vaguely recall there was one song which I thought was
dance-ish.  The album is "Jesus Egg That Wept."

Then there's the Roches - THREE strong-voiced women, with some really
beautiful love songs.  None of their songs made me think of dance,
particularly, perhaps because I've been listening to them since long
before I took a dance class.  Most of their music is more likely to be
acceptable than Dax or the Raincoats - closer to mainstream, though
not all the way there.  Albums - "The Roches" (my favorite, complex
songs with simple accompaniments), "Keep on Doing", "Seductive
Reasoning" (more country-music-influenced), well, I forget the rest...
avoid "Another World" - it's just boring pop.

	-Ranjit