Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Matters of Kateness...the Great Witch Goddess...

From: DANDOM%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Dan Parmenter at Hampshire College)
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 87 19:32 EDT
Subject: Matters of Kateness...the Great Witch Goddess...

This is my first posting to Love-Hounds, although I've been reading
it for some time now.

On the matter of 'originality', I feel that it is absurd to put
down a performer on the basis of the fact that "It's been done
before".  This applies to any artform.  In popular music, the 12
bar blues progression is one of the most basic, simple structures
imaginable, yet in the hands of capable musicians, it can be one of
the most dynamic, exciting venues of musical expression imaginable.
Interpreting something old in a new and interesting way has the dual
purpose of reaffirming one's roots, and also proving that immense
creativity is possible within a given structure.  Good, rollicking
3 chord rock well played, is a thousand times more interesting than
the ghastly dance music one hears today, sounding like nothing
more than a setting on a casiotone.

On the matter of 'James and the Cold Gun'and the Hammersmith Odeon
Show in general, I have this to say.  I watched the tape with fellow
Love Hounds Jon Drukman and Joe Turner, and we all agreed that while
excessively flamboyant, it was actually somewhat subdued compared to
other performing artists of the time, when popular music was still
recovering from 'glamor' and 'glitter' rock.  The matter of whether or
not the version of 'James' on the Live album is the same as the video
version, I will assume that it is not.  In the 'Live' album version,
the Great Witch-Goddess begins the vocal with a sharp, biting
"JAMES!", whereas in the video version, she slides in with a cool,
relaxed "Jaaaammes...", more closely resembling the album version.  On
the cover of the Live album she appears to be clad in the same cute
little cowboy outfit from The Hammersmith Odeon show, so it was
probably a different night.

On the subject of performers who have worked with Irish musicians,
consider Mike Oldfield, who used Paddy Moloney, a Chieftan I
believe, on 'Ommadawn' and 'Five Miles Out'.  Celtic roots are
nothing new in pop music, from recent examples like The Pogues, who
are quite good, to groups like Steelye Span and Fairport
convention.  Richard Thompson, formerly of FC even had a 'hot'
Uillean Pipes solo on his recent rocker 'Bone Through Her Nose'.
On my radio show (WAMH Amherst, 89.3), we often did 'Celtic Sets'
we'd play things from Kate's own 'Jig of Life' any number of the
afforementioned performers.  We'd even slip in a little Jethro Tull,
much to the Chagrin of Love-Hound Jon Drukman.

One last topic, I purchased Sgt. Pepper on CD, and I believe fellow
LH Joe Turner can attest to the fact that hearing it on CD was like
meeting an old friend after many years of separation only to
discover that you like them even better now!

Dan Parmenter,
Angst-ridden suburban white boy.