Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTian Thoughts

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 87 22:43:37 PDT
Subject: KaTian Thoughts

-------
I'm sooo happy...my copy of the Castaway soundtrack showed up today after
weeks of pleading with my local dealer (hell, he wanted a copy,too).
It was enough to make me forget about buying Peter Gabriel 3 on CD...

>From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject:  Kate and The Cold Gun
>Those were exactly the things I noted, and I tried to make |>oug see
>reason, but he would have none of it.  Anyway, here's something bound
>to stir up controversy: I think that the EP version is much superior
>to the Hammersmith Odeon version.  It's got so much more punch to it!
>(And I don't mean just sound quality, although that helps - the
>brightness of the opening piano chords is phenomenal).  Opinions?

The sound quality off my hi-fi vcr is better than the EP. I tend to prefer
the video version as it is a "tighter" performance, but I also like the
EP because it is an example of Kate's constant experimentation and not
being satified enough to leave something alone (although her voice
sounds a little tired). I have always thought that
the opening piano chords seemed a little sloppy and not fitting with the
"punch" of the rest of the track. The piano on the album track was crisper
and seemed much more fitting.

>        [Okay, okay, maybe you're right... --|>oug]

Right about what?

>Re the announcement in Pulse! about the Secret Policeman's Third Ball
>video and LP: note that it was printed in the What's new in London
>section. Don't count on domestic releases. (The info was actually
>published about a month ago in the British music weeklies.)

The album may not be a domestic release, but may still be widely available
if Tower decides to push it as part of their campaign with Amnesty Intl.
Also, I have seen the last Secret Policeman's Ball video on both tape and
laser-disk at the local Tower, so I think we have a good chance of seeing
this new one also, especially since the list of performers (Peter Gabriel,
Lou Reed, Jackson Browne, etc) has appeal on both sides of the Atlantic
(unlike the British Comic Relief show).

>From Neil B. Carlton:
>The problem still remains that Bell Rock and Tiree are not sea areas so why
>not give the sea area names (as with Cromaty - my crude maps seem to indicate
>that Bell Rock is around the boundary of Cromarty and Forth). Also Bell Rock
>and Tiree are on opposite coasts! While it is possible for the same weather
>conditions to be experienced at the same time on east and west coast I
>would consider this rare. Also, easterly winds in GB are rare and easterly
>gales are rarer still. So if this is an actual report then it all adds
>up to a fairly unique situation...

Aha! Then what this track is is another of Kate's mischievious little games
she plays with us to see how many of us notice the inconsistancies .
She could have put an actual storm warning message in the spot and have
the desired effect, but instead put in something with a twist to keep us
loyal fans hopping...

"All we ever look for is another open door..."
MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------