Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

"And Dream of Sheep" message

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 87 09:22:44 PDT
Subject: "And Dream of Sheep" message

-------
>From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
>The message does appear to be some kind of shipping report. I can make out
>the following:
>  Attention shipping information in sea areas .... Bell Rock, Tiree,
                ^                               ^
              ships                         including

>  Cromaty, gale east .... .... , Malin, Sellafield .... ....
                  ^
         ...gale easterly ("Come here with me, Luv" obliterates this), Malin...

This sounds like it is a warning of gale easterly winds in the Cromaty area
based on reports from ships in the area and the Bell Rock and Tiree stations,
and then continuing on to reports from the Malin and Sellafield areas. Not
having UK marine navigation maps nor having listened to any weather or
marine broadcasts from over there, I can't comment on it's validity or
whether it is an actual broadcast or not. It could possibly be
a radio report from a shipping company to all it's ships at sea.
Most likey this passage was simulated to "sound like" something someone
had heard on the shortwave (or LW band?) and that fit with the musical
passage.

"All you sailors (get out of the waves, get out of the water)..."

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------