Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Is it Live? or is it...

From: ganzer%trout@nosc.mil (Mark T. Ganzer)
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 87 22:43:50 PDT
Subject: Is it Live? or is it...

-------
>From: Jon Drukman
>OH yes, One very important KTKTKTKTKTKTKTKT question for anyone still
>reading: Is it really true (as |>oug claims) that "James And The Cold
>Gun" live from the "On Stage" and "Kate Bush" EPs is the SAME version
>in the Hammermsmith Odeon video??  It doesn't seem like it...
>
>--Jon Drukman

I never thought they were, and a little comparative listening proved it
to me. First, the EP version has a piano intro, where the video doesn't.
The drum flurry following the opening chords are not the same. Then, the
first verse on the video starts 4 bars later than in the EP ( try playing
the EP soundtrack over the video to see this). Also, the inflection in Kate's
voice in the opening word "James.." is much different, as is her inflection
throughout much of the song. I didn't bother to go much further to prove the
differences. There are enough differences to conclude even that one is not
a re-mix of the other, unless a whole new vocal track was recorded after
the filming and much revision done to the EP mix.

I remember seeing |>oug's claim that the EP was recorded at Hammersmith
Odeon. My EP doesn't say where it was recorded (mine is the Harvest 12").
My copy of the Hammersmith tape says that there were two shows done at
Hammersmith, one of which (13 May 1979) was filmed. There are enough
differences, however, for me to speculate that the EP was recorded at a much
different point in the tour.

OK, who has the compilation tape? The last word I saw was it was ready to
leave John Labovitz and go to Greg Taylor. Did it ever get to you Greg?
Or is it hopelessly lost in the US Snail system? As I mentioned before,
I'll try to get some copies made if its full when I'm done with it so that
we can get our overseas love-hounds (and everyone else for that matter)
a sample before Kate comes out with a new album!

"But it just ain't right to take away the light..."

MarK T. Ganzer
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------