Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate-echism VIII.5.xxviii

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Thu, 28 May 87 12:01 PDT
Subject: Kate-echism VIII.5.xxviii

KT News:
^^^^^^^^
Nothing important, just that a video called "Kate Bush Live"
(almost certainly just the Hammersmith Odeon film) has been announced
for (re-)release on HBO/Cannon in June, at $19.95. (It's been
available at the same price for ages anyway, but on the EMI video label.)

And now, the mail-bag:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
To Paul Traina: Just kidding, Paul, you're forgiven. But you missed
out on alot...

> From: Rob Aitken <aitken%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
> Subject: Re: spreading the gospel to the un-Kated

> ... while Ms. Bush has a marvelous voice, her songs are essentially
> thinly disguised pop. Oh no.  I've said it now! They'll all be
> after me!

> [ |>oug would like to say that he thinks this is a pretty ridiculous
> statement.  "Thinly disguised pop"?  Disguised to whom?  Much of her
> music is blatantly and purposely Pop.  No one is saying that it isn't
> Pop.  It isn't disguised at all.  Much of her music also does not so
> easily fall into the category "Pop".  And a great deal of her music
> contains a combination of originality, innovation, quality, and
>  power, yet to be exceeded.  -- |>oug ]

Damn right! And if Greg Earle can rail (eloquently, too, for that
matter) against flip, stupid remarks about the likes of Skinny Puppy
(admirable people, by the way), IED won't be out of line objecting to
Mr. Aitken's remarks re Kate. Doug has already pointed out the
absurdity of describing Kate's "pop" as "disguised".  Equally asinine,
in IED's view, is the assumption that something as vaguely defined and
hugely diverse as "pop" is somehow de facto inferior to other
(unspecified) forms of music.  That's just idiotic. To paraphrase Greg
Earle: Try *thinking* about what you hear and write, instead of just
making cursory dismissals, and perhaps you will be the more enriched
for it.

> From: Dan Stewart <STEWART_SYS%uta.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
> Subject: RE: Kate in Dallas.

> Well, I'll be very curious to see if she actually shows up here too.
> I did see the ad for the promotion of The Whole Story video, and it
> said something along the lines of "...Kate Bush will be premiering a
> video compilation of her recent album The Whole Story..."  This
> implies her presence, but could just mean she's promoting it.  That
> was actually a small article regarding it.  An advertisement I saw
> made no mention of Kate herself being here.

> I'll take IED up on the wager of no more annoying third person references.
> With this sort of incentive, it may be worth hiring a Kate Bush look-alike
> to pose in front of The Video Bar with a cowboy hat on (that is, if Kate
> doesn't make it).

Don't go gittin' your hopes up, Dan, it'll never happen. Sounds like
slipshod reporting, that's all. Kate won't be coming within five
thousand miles of Texas 'fore the second tour.  And there ain't a
Texan woman alive who could pass for Kate, not with ol' Eagle Eye-E-D
on the qui vive. But do me a favor, will ya, friend?  While you're at
the ol' Video Bar, knock back a bourbon 'n' branch for your California
compadre. He'd be much obliged.

-- Andrew