Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

IED has caught a glimpse of a god...her name is Catherine.

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 12:46 PDT
Subject: IED has caught a glimpse of a god...her name is Catherine.

To Nancy: If there ever is another SoCal Bush bash, Paul will certainly
be welcome. The operative word being "if".

To |>oug: Infuriating as it seems, the case of Chris is one where
possession is nine-tenths of the law, in the sense that we'd better
keep being nice to him or we might never see the stuff again...ever.

>From: KELNER@LL.ARPA
>  I was reading the Boston Sunday Globe the other day and they had a list of
>the most popular video cassette rentals in the Boston area. In the section
>"Music video rentals" they list "Kate Bush: The Whole Story" as number 1.
>Is this possible?

Yes.

>Is it the same in the rest of the country?

Almost certainly not. The big urban centers in this country
have always taken to Kate more completely than the outlying areas.
The Whole Story was in the top ten on several Southern California
record sales lists after it came out; ditto Hounds of Love, although
more briefly. Those records' national chart peaks were much lower.

>From: ucsbcsl!nessus!paul@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
>Subject: secret message in "And Dream of Sheep"
>What's the narration behind the first occurance of "Let me be weak, let
>me sleep and dream of sheep" (~0:50) ?  I haven't been able to piece it
>together... does anyone have it?
>-- Paul Traina

Without his D-5 in the computer room to confirm, IED can only assume
that you are referring to the "shipping report" in "And Dream of Sheep".
No-one has deciphered all of that message, but an Irish (or Scottish?)
fan suggested that part of it was a list of coastal areas and islands
along the shipping lanes between Ireland and Scotland (see Break-Through
issue 10 or 11, IED believes). The message may say something like:
"Attention all ships, especially sea navigators (?)....Bell Rock...
Tyree..." etc. (This is not supposed to be an accurate transcription,
just an idea of what to listen for.)
MarK, you've had experience with this sort of radio stuff, can
you help us out here?

Regarding IED's description of the Tour of Life: Reading it over
in L-Hs today, he realized that his words were ill chosen. He didn't
intend to sound critical of the shows AT ALL. In his opinion, they were
without the slightest question the greatest live "rock" performances
ever presented. Period. IED didn't really mean "bad taste", exactly,
but more exaggerated emotion. MarK, your point about the inappropriate
nature of MacMillan's direction is very illuminating, and may have
a lot to do with IED's impression of the performance.
Finally, by "adult", IED was referring only to those who
have flushed the child from their eye.

-- Andrew