Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Free Speech"

From: Rich <RMRichardson.PA@Xerox.COM>
Date: 20 May 87 18:28:21 PDT (Wednesday)
Subject: Re: "Free Speech"

>From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
>Does this mean that we should give free reign to the likes of nazis, the
>KKK, paedophiles et cetera? Surely one has to draw the line somewhere -
>though where that line is is, I admit, difficult to define.  ...

Yes, for speech it means EXACTLY that; all those disgusting, despicable
slime are allowed to speak.  The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union)
as been to court again and again on this point.  The line is drawn at action;
thus, to shout "Fire!" in a crowded theatre is not protected.  I realize your
culture is just enough different to not understand this, but that's the way
it's supposed to be here.  Unfortunately, too many U.S. citizens (including
some elected office holders) don't really believe in freedom of speech when
it comes to things which upset them.

> ... How must Asians in the East End of London feel about
>having excrement shoved through their letter boxes and petrol bombs thrown
>into their bedrooms by National Front supporters ...

Illegal acts -- and of course the perpetrators are to be caught and locked
up until such time as they learn to behave as proper citizens.

> ... and then seeing the NF's
>papers and pamphlets being sold in their local markets. ...

Yeah, this is where liberty gets hard to live with.  But then if you can't
handle the hard parts, you can have it much easier in a regimented society
where they take care to see that life is very orderly and peaceful (at least
for some), e.g., Russia, Chile, South Africa, etc.

> ...  It is not so easy
>to be liberal when you dare not let your children out on the streets for fear
>of them being stabbed to death because of the colour of their skin.

Make that libertarian vs. liberal; it's almost impossible.  It hasn't happened
yet, on a really large scale for any length of time.  But we can only try our
damned best and hope for some success.

Rich

Life is complex.  It has real and imaginary parts.
  [Thanks to: Rich Rosen]