Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

There was a great spider's web in the phone booth under the bridge...

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 20 May 87 16:43 PDT
Subject: There was a great spider's web in the phone booth under the bridge...

About the latest suggestions re "Not This Time":
As this is Love-Hounds, not Wickham Street, IED cannot help but
disagree with your interpretation. He believes that the song makes more
sense as a monologue than as a dialogue: both the first line of the
song and the "to keep the shit away" line gel perfectly with the former
reading.

LHLHLHLHLHLHLHLHLHLHLHLWLHLHWLHLHWLHWLWSLWSIWSIWLWSIWSIWSIWSIWSIWSIWSI!!!

    (You have now left the dull, phosphorous world of Love-Hounds...)

    Since you have asked, however, your interpretation, as embraced
    by the corps of the WSI, is ABSOLUTELY CORREkt!

    (Welcome to our pleasant, ivied by-way!)

    Ergo, the song expresses both the private thoughts of a young
    woman AND her argument with her lover. Since this is true, it must
    follow that there are really two songs to be heard on this track: Not
    (only) This Time, but Another, As Well. Thus, the line "I don't know
    why I build a mountain" (a perfeKTly accurate reading in these
    quarters) refers to the hill of "Running Up That Hill", identifying
    it as a pre-epiphanous scene in the lives of the same couple. Follow
    this train of thought up Wickham High Street about a mile from the
    Wimpy's -- you're bound to see it eventually, just on your left...

-- Andrew