Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Not This Time

From: briarpatch.uucp!billy@mcnc.org (Billy Green)
Date: Tue, 12-May-87 01:34:40 EDT
Subject: Re: Not This Time

> From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>          (Jonathan S. Drukman)
>
>     The first verse seems pretty clear:
>
> Oh with a mind that renders everything sensitive,
                                        ^^^^^^^^^

Could this be "insensitive"?  If so, the "in-" is very soft, but
that's what I hear.  Looking at the song as a whole, I vote for
"insensitive".  Look at the singer and the singee.  The singee thinks
that the singer doesn't care.  The singer admits to caring to the
point of self-exclusion (i.e., caring too much for the singer and not
enough for herself).

> I don't know what I'm given unto every time
             Try:
"I don't know why I give in, [but] I do every time."

The [but] is something that I think my mind wants to add to make up for
lost punctuation.  This version of this line makes more sense in
conjuction with the next line:

> And here I am wondering why I did it again

> I say, you keep me going, you keep the shit away

This is the only line that gives me trouble.  I agree that the above
line sounds right, but something bugs me about it.  The singer seems
to be at odds with the person she's singing to.  She's getting such a
kick at telling him that she's standing up for herself and not giving
in.  I have trouble with her saying that he keeps the shit away.  Her
attitude seems to be that he is the *cause* of any shit that might be
bothering her.

 [ Look, it goes like this:

	"Too-lee-yay, too-lee-yo, too-lee-yay, too-lee-yo, too-lee-yo"
	That's what I say to keep me going -- to keep the shit away

   That explains everything.  -- |>oug ]

On the other hand, she also says "Every time you're near, I feel
you, and I forget myself."  Knowing how Kate likes to write dialogues,
then I can imagine the character almost giving in for a moment, but
pulling herself back up to say, "Not this time."

>The only line that gives me a hassle is the first line in the second
>verse - I'm not sure I've quite got it.  Any alternate suggestions are
>welcome!

Well, try my version and see if it makes sense to you.

Enjoy.

Billy Green
Carrboro, NC
[phone] (919)-967-2225
[e-mail] {seismo,decvax,philabs,akgua}!mcnc!briarpatch!billy

(P.S. to IED--Can we consider this to have been posted for WSI use?)