Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: KTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKT

From: marko@elrond.CalComp.COM (D. Mark Ouellette)
Date: 13 May 87 15:30:55 GMT
Subject: Re: KTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKTKT

> The confusion arises from the original meaning of the symbol. Kate
> discovered the symbol in the early seventies, she didn't make it up.
> It was originally an Arthurian monogram for the Knights Templar (the
> Knights of the Round Table).  Kate says that it appears on old
> British tombstones and in church stone carvings. Obviously, Kate
> liked the Englishness of it, and the charm of its phonetics in
> relation to her own name.  But given the heavy metal obsession with
> macho heroics and mediaeval warrior claptrap, it isn't at all
> surprising that Iron Maiden might use the symbol, too, albeit with
> none of the wit with which Kate uses it.

> -- Andrew

I don't wish to turn this into a flame-style message with the usual
"My music is better than yours!" and "Don't rag on my favorite music!"
debates that happen so frequently but I had to come to Iron Maiden's
defense since I haven't any of the Maiden's posting here lately
(ever!).  Firstly, a couple reasons why the TK symbol appears on the
cover of "Somewhere In Time" cover.  The Maiden members are pretty
much all avowed Kate fans, I've read this in numerous interviews with
various members.  As an aside I'll also toss in another unlikely Metal
band who are Kate fans, Metallica.  Yes, I too and many other Metal
fans appreciate Kate!  Now, back to the Maidens...  If you take a good
look at the cover itself, it is made up of a street scene which
depicts references to Maiden's history, past and present.  The TK can
be taken as a reference to their Kate fandom or also to their being
devoted British citizens who might also take pride in the
"Englishness" of it.

Secondly, please don't lump them into the "macho heroics abd mediaeval
warrior claptrap".  They write about science fiction, mythological,
literary, and yes, some of their older material did delve into horror,
but I think they write more than "macho heroics" type material.  And
they really do have a sense of humor!  It really is unfair to judge
any person, band, music, anything when you really don't know much if
anything about them or where they're coming from, fair assesment?

Again I want to emphasize, this is not intended as a flame and don't
wish to start another senseless verbal war on a network that is
already bogged down with far too many already.  My only intention here
was to hopefully shed a litttle light on where Iron Maiden are coming
from so they won't be written off so casually.

BTW, as a Kate fan who is having a really difficult time swaying my
wife over the finer things in Kate!  Any suggestions?  Did anyone else
ever run up against a die-hard "Don't like Kate!" type and suc-
cessfully sway them over?  What's your secret?  Special tactics nec-
essary?  I feel like I'll be "Running Up That Hill" forever before
I'll get her to appreciate Kate!

P.s. No degrading remarks about my wife, she's just naive to the wonders
of Kate! But I'm working on it!

Keep Rockin' !!!

"Stranger In a Strange Land" - Iron Maiden '86

--
  :[]:     Mark "METAL" Ouellette - Calcomp, A Lockheed Company
   ||                               (603) 885-8038
  (  )
  (__)