Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

bacKwads Taping

From: amdcad!tymix!nancyh@decwrl.DEC.COM (Nancy Holt)
Date: 16 May 87 07:32:02 GMT
Subject: bacKwads Taping
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I see many of you using such elaborate methods to listen to various
things backwars such as hacking tape players or playing with
expensive sound twisting equipment.  I use a very simple method that
requires just a small phillips screwdriver.

Tape your desired forwards stuff you want to listen to bacwards
(Letters are dropping from 'backwards' for some reason (typos))
on to a normal cassete tape (how do YOU define normal?).
Next, carefully remove the screws (usually five) from the tape face
and even more carefully open the tape.  OOPS!!!

>>>----READ THIS!!!!----<<<
before you open the tape, it is easiest if it is fully rewound.
We now return you to the regularly scheduled programme.

Set the empty half of the tape housing and the paper covering neatly
aside, and VERY carefully flip the full reel of the tape over.  DO NOT
let it unwind (a tiny bit is okay, though.). Rethread the tape through the
bottom of the housing the way it was, making sure the tape is not
twisted, until you reach the empty reel.  Flip the empty reel so that
the tape has an untwisted route and put the paper covering on top
of the reels the way it was and replace the tape housing and screws.
Now when you play it, it is backwards, yay toot!

One drawback, the sound quality seems lessened to me when the tape
is backwards.  At first I thought it might be due to static
electricity from my fingers to the tape, but the sound
returns to normal when I put it forward again.  It might be
something like the tracks not aligning with the heads.

Anyway, it works and is usable.

Paul Holt

"Language is a virus from outer space"
-William S. Burroughs