Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

various and sundry responses

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 May 87 11:26:51 EDT
Subject: various and sundry responses
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: "V36B::CHARETTEP" <charettep%v36b.decnet@nusc.arpa>
>
>	Here's a question for all you Kate-fans...  Does anybody have the
>text of the "newscast" at the end of "Breathing", I can't seem to get it
>all (damn cheap stereo equipment!).
>
>			Paul "Just say 'my mommy won`t let me'" Charette

The last twenty seconds of the newscast are rather painful to try to
figure out by playing short snippets over and over.  It may be more
fruitful to locate the original source of this text, which almost
certainly comes from a genuine, period narration.  The first time I
listened to "Breathing", I found myself mumbling along with the narrator
for a while, but I couldn't remember where I'd heard that speech before.
Maybe it was all a case of false deja vu?

>Really-From: Jon Meltzer <jsm%vax1.ccs.cornell.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
>>Really-From: Nancy Everson <everson@SPCA.BBN.COM>
>>
>>Also, I really liked the Kate Bush songs I heard on the radio long before I
>>knew anything about Kate, including what she looked like.  I had even
>>created a mental image of what this Kate Bush person looked like.  This
>>image resembled Kate Smith rather than Kate Bush.
>
>NO! I'll never be able to fantasize about Kate again!!

Which one?  (hee hee...aren't we wallowing in snide remarks today?)

>Really-From: amdcad!tymix!nancyh@decwrl.DEC.COM (Nancy Holt)
>As you may have guessed, this is actually Paul.
>
>Dave, you mentioned that you didn't think Kate could do her work
>if she were a man.  I think if she were Jon Anderson of Yes,
>she'd have a good chance.

Uh huh, right.  Let's see Jon (Anderson, not Meltzer) try to remake
_Lionheart_.  To quote Hobbes (as in Calvin &): "I heard a pop, but I
think it was my lungs."

>Really-From: Mark LaForge <cs140.t2%watmath.waterloo.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
>
>Can anybody tell me if the US version of the Smith's LOUDER THAN BOMBS is
>a double album or just a single album.

Yes, but not right away (apologies to Louis Ruykeyser).  The vinyl is a
double; the aluminized polycarbonate is a carefully timed single.
Depending where you go, the CD also enjoys(?) the most bizarre price
variation I've ever seen on an ordinary single CD.

>And also is the new album by WIRE available on CD yet.
>
>AND also has XTC's Skylarking been released in the States with the
>additional track DEAR GOD.
>
>Mark LaForge

Dunno about the Wire album.  The US release of _Skylarking_ has been out
for several weeks now on CD, and does include Dear God.  It's fairly
easy to recognize; imported copies are packaged in clear plastic and
have a plain blue background on the cover, while domestic copies are
packaged in cardboard with a patterned background.

The following has absolutely nothing to do with KaTe.  A&M has released
the "Highlights of the 10th Anniversary Prince's Trust Birthday Party" CD,
which my cursory glance indicates is a motley and mostly disposable
assortment of tracks, unless you absolutely, positively *must* have a
DDD recording of Suzanne Vega's "Marlene on the Wall".  I don't.

-dave
--
David T. Hsu			Newsaholic Emeritus
ARPA:	hsu@eneevax.umd.edu	UUCP: [seismo,allegra]!mimsy!eneevax!hsu