Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

DEVO Easy-Listening Muzak Serves Man cassette/record

From: mit-amt!bc@mit-amt.media.mit.edu (bill coderre)
Date: 12 May 87 10:41:41 GMT
Subject: DEVO Easy-Listening Muzak Serves Man cassette/record
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I found the record above in a bin at Second Coming records in Harvard
Square, Cambridge (MA USA), shortly before talking to Our Moderator.

		     BUY THIS THING AT ALL COSTS!

This record (actually, the record is a bootleg of the tape, which DEVO
sold on one tour and thru the mail-order racket (which I believe has
dried up)) is an object quite unlike anything else. (That, in my book,
is good reason to have it!)

DEVO does MUZAK-style cover versions of Come Back Jonee, Satisfaction
(just the backing tracks, to avoid lawsuits), Space Junk, Jocko Homo
(Cha-Cha style!), Sweeling Itching Brain, Whipit, Mongoloid (as a
sortof tick-tock soap opera theme replete with Dim7 chords and funny
sound effects), GirlUWant (spaghetti western goes to Hell, AKA Ennio
Morricone and the 1001 strings!!!!), Pity You, and Beautiful World
(1890s shoot-the-player-piano-and-banjo with space aliens from Planet
7). You can really tell where the PeeWee's Playhouse music came from!

This record is brilliant. The concept, arrangements, instrumental
sounds (good cheezy synth fake strings, horns, synth-o-shit (can I say
that word on the NET?)), and productions are absolutely amazing. A
total joy to listen to.

I still don't like much of what DEVO did (the one-hit-per-record thang
is a real drag), but this and "Q:" are both brilliant. Now if I can
only get a hold of the stuff they did when they were connected with
the Church of the Subgenius....

Sound on bootleg record very good (not surprising). Boot was $14. (Not
to say Second Coming *sells* bootleg records, which of course is
illegal! Just that, say, some guy sold it to me.)

**

Peewee's playhouse is also a current fave, although it is completely
repeats out the wazoo right now. An MIT dorm punk cover band does the
theme song, and WMBR plays it on a regular basis. I still haven't got
all the words, but I do have a VCR, so maybe I'll puzzle them out
soon. BTW, scuttle is that Cyndi Lauper is the vocalist (working under
pseudonym). Not surprising.

**

In support of the Freedom of Speech:
"Sniff My Anal Vapors/Girl I Wanna Rape Ya"
I suppose we could start a serious discussion of Zappa's Dynamo Hum.
Anybody wanna post the complete unexpurgated lyrics. A long favorite
at X rated movies here on the MIT Campus.