Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Mark Katsouros <KATSOURO@UMDD>
Date: Thu, 14 May 87 17:07:20 EDT

> Date:     Mon, 11 May 87  20:48:36 EDT
> From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>           (Jonathan S. Drukman)
>
> > A suggestion:  would it be possible to have *all* rec.music.gaffa
> > postings be rot13'ed?
>
> What does "rot13" mean?

Rot13 is a technique for making text unreadable.  It simply takes each
character and rotates it by 13 positions.  For example an "A" would become an
"N", a "B" would become an "O", and so fourth, assuming that a copy of the
alphabet follows "Z".  It is nice because rot13(rot13(text)) = text, i.e. your
decoder and encoder are one in the same.

As far as the suggestion to rot13 all rec.music.gaffa, that wouldn't be a good
idea since many people receive it on machines where they have no rot13 decoder.
Now of course they can write one, or get someone else to, but why should they?
Nobody is forcing anyone to read anything.  I happen to think that the various
"flavors" of postings here make things a little more interesting.  As a matter
of fact, "FUCK".  There, I feel better already.  If that offended anyone, well,
I'm sorry, but grow up.  I also want to say that I agree with Nancy Everson in
that Wicinski was not picking on Sue because she's a woman.  I can see all
those radical feminists now, sitting in front of their terminals reading Sue's
posting in soc.women and eating up another opportunity to go overboard on
something just to make a little noise.  Anyway, what's the status on the
KompilaTion tape?  Just asking because I can hardly wait to hear everyone's
suggested music.
Fuckin' A,
Mark Kat(e)souros

"I shot my dog 'cause he growled at you."