Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: munnari!gecko.rmit.oz!rcopw@seismo.CSS.GOV (Paul Whiting)
Date: Fri, 15 May 87 11:15:37 EST

Dear Andrew, (I hope that is your name - if your the moderator)

      I have not been offended by hoffman/wicinski and think rec/mod.music.
      gaffa is a really informative and open discussion of today`s music. I
      would hate to see the likes of the current "dust-up" (for want of a
      better word), happen again.

      So, as the moderator of our newsgroup, I would like to suggest to you
      that each person who posts to the group should censor their own
      articles, and that the censorship rating is made part of the subject
      header.

      Here, in Oz, the TV and Cinemas use the same censorship ratings:
      G = General admission
      PG = Parental Guidance
      M = Mature Audiences ( eg. Platoon )
      R = Restricted Audiences (eg. 9.5 Weeks, Angel Heart, Blue Velvet)

      Now, when someone posts an article to the group, which obtains obscene
      language or something that may offend someone, then the subject header
      would look something like this:

      Subject: Kate`s a slut !!! (Cens. Rating = R)(Paul Whiting)
      etc.

      Now, I am not suggesting that you actually use the same ratings -
      you may prefer to use USA style ratings. You could post this letter
      to the newsgroup to see what the rest of the Love-Hounds think!!

      I hope this can be of some help or a temporary solution to the
      problem.

      PS - I DO NOT think Kate is a Slut - I just use this as an example
      of an article that may make a lot of people get `hot under the
      collar`.

      Bye for now,
      Wipeout.

Paul Whiting

    CSIRO - Div. of Info. Technology,
    c/o Dept of Communication & Electronic Engineering,
        Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
        124 Latrobe St, Melbourne, 3000, Australia

ACSnet: rcopw@gecko             UUCP: ...!seismo!munnari!gecko.rmit.oz!rcopw
CSNET:  rcopw@gecko.rmit.oz     ARPA: rcopw%gecko.rmit.oz@seismo
BITNET: rcopw%gecko.rmit.oz@CSNET-RELAY
PHONE:  +61 3 660 2619.
SIGNATURE: Work sucks!! Go to the Beach !!