Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Big Black concert

From: hogge@p.cs.uiuc.edu (John Hogge)
Date: Mon, 4 May 87 01:01:36 CDT
Subject: Big Black concert

     Big Black & Digits, Channing Murray, Champaign Illinois, 5/3/87

Albini wrecked the stage, possibly wrecked chances for future shows at
Channing Murray, and definitely wrecked my ears.  To sum it up, it was a fine
show.  Even better for those like Bill and me who skipped the Digits, which
are fun once and have one cute song, something like "Fix me some food, bitch!"

Not being familiar with pre-Atomizer material, it appeared that BB played two
or three new songs which were excellent and in no manner I could detect
strayed from Atomizer's style.  More of the same, great noise in other words.
One of these was strong lyrically--contained a power phrase on the order of
"show you how to die, you son of a bitch" followed by, you guessed it,
merciless wall of noise feedback guitar.

The drum machine worked this time, though they screwed it up once.  History
was made: Albini took his first sip ever of diet coke.  He wasn't happy about
it.

One very killer feedback guitar solo in middle of set.

Oh yeah, I guess you're wondering how Albini wrecked the stage?  Well, he set
off a six-foot long string of fire crackers which kind of charred it a bit.
This was the climax of the last song, Jordan Minn.  Then four firetrucks
showed up since the fire alarm went off, guys in yellow came in, prevented the
encore, and closed the show.  (Albini had blown his amp on the last number and
was preparing to do something vocal-only.  Too bad they weren't permitted to
do it.)

Tshirts worn:
  Bass Player -- Scratch Acid  (tasteful, tasteful)
  Other Guitar player -- Madona (yeah, sure)
  Albini -- Couch Flambeau (very tasteful, indeed a great band)
  Me -- Purgatory Ski tshirt (a bit out of place don't you think?)

And my ears are a'ringin'.  The only thing I could think to unwind to tonight
was Nurse With Wound's "A Missing Sense", which is about as minimal as humanly
possible.  All in all, it was a rewarding show.  See it.

--John