Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

R&R

From: hsu%uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU@a.cs.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 87 20:17:45 cdt
Subject: R&R

< Somebody bitches about Husker Du >
While I have no great love for recent Husker Du, it's not fair to base
your judgement of a band on one (5 minute?) performance. (I missed the
show; I don't get network TV.) The Huskers can blow your socks off when
they want to. Just listen to assorted things from Zen Arcade or their
cover of Eight Miles High. Just because they're rich and lazy now
doesn't mean they can't play their instruments.

New Rifle Sport 7" features some clean and fast playing and slick production,
but overall I'm a little disappointed. I expect better from a band Albini
raves about. Rifle Sport will probably sign to Homestead and become
college radio darlings in a year.

This new Stickdog album from Iowa is great stuff. Yes, there is life
after Scratch Acid and the Buttholes. Dirty, demented, noisy guitar
with gruff vocals. Side 1 is as good as anything Scratch Acid has ever
done. Side 2 is very subdued but well-crafted stuff, which Cocteau
Twins fans might like. It's that schizophrenic, but get it anyway.
(I'll find that address sometime...)

Bill