pages left...

From: prs@oliven.ATC.OLIVETTI.COM (Philip Stephens)
>                                               ... I just
>don't know how to interpret others' enthusiasm for Birdsongs, Diamanda(sp?),
>Butthole Surfers, etc etc, into a reasonable prediction of whether I
>would enjoy subjecting myself and my wallet to such fare.

This is not an easy task. At some point, you have to dive in and buy
something a person recommends and see if your tastes mesh. For example,
I bought The Housemartins CD this weekend based on recommendations here
and elsewhere, and thoroughly enjoy the intresting combination of upbeat
rhythms and social-commentary lyrics. The best thing is to hear it. One thing
to do is call your local college station and request something you would like
to hear. IED's proposal of tape cirKulaTion is also another good idea
(although for someone like myself who is not very familiar with the
alternative or underground music, this would a indicator of my musical tastes
rather than recommended new music).

>From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>Subject: YAYUS IT'S TRUE, FUYTHFUL WANS! KUYTE IS GOWD! AH'VE SEEN THE LAHT!!!
>Subject: kateisgodkateisgodkateisgodkateisgodkateisgodkateisgodkateisgodkateis

Praise the Lord and pass "The Dreaming"...
(Hey, it seems to me there could be a racket in this. Just think,
you too could be as big as Rev Jimmy or Rev Jerry :-)

>IED is hyper-excited by this idea of yours, and will go home and
>test your allegations forthwith. Unfortunately, he still has
>no recourse but to turn his record backwards by hand on his
>turntable, as he owns no proper tape recording equipment.

I too am excited by this backwards track info, but am a little
uneasy about using my equipment in such a manner. I plan to convert
an old cassette player for this task. A co-worker has done it and
says it can be done by putting spacers under the playback head
to shift it to the other side of the tape. You then have to cut
notches in the side of the cassette housing to clear the now
off-center tape head. This of course also requires a second tape deck
to find the proper location on the tape. I haven't heard his unit
and don't know how it is going to work out, but I'll report back
when I have some results.

MarK T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
Internet: ganzer@trout.nosc.mil   UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!sdcsvax!nosc!ganzer
-------

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]