[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

No Subject

The 'Let it be' video was played (it's No. 1) on TOTP last thursday.
It is very similar to the Band Aid video i.e. studio shots of the artists
recording their various bits. Kate's brief (c. 12 secs.) appearance shows
her in close-up in front of a microphone the size of a basketball
superimposed with a longer distance shot, before changing to just the
close-up. Unlike most of the other performers she was not wearing 'cans'
whilst singing. The video ends with a communal sing along featuring as
motley a crew of pop persons as you could imagine. So far I've been unable
to spot Kate amongst the aasembled multitude. She probably took one look
at them and fled in terror!

>From: Karen Weiss <weiss@nrl-aic.ARPA>
>I erred.  Yesterday I said that Siouxsie & the Banshees debuted on the
>Virgin label.  Not so.  The domestic version of "The Scream" was released by
>Polydor in 1978.  I don't know what label the original import version was on.

The L.P. was indeed released on Polydor in G.B.

>From: J. Peter Alfke <alfke@csvax.caltech.edu>
>With any luck this will get passed to the consumer and we may start seeing
>cheaper CDs soon.  (I also hear the supply is catching up with demand (in
>fact one of the major labels has some overstocked discs they're selling
>for $7.99 list (don't get excited, they're all shit)) so prices should be
>going down somewhat over the year.)

Cheaper CDs have just started appearing over here at 7-99 (pounds) in Tower
and 7-49 at my local shop. They do not seem to all be from the same label,
but all feature an extra flap over the original CD cover. This flap gives a
list of the artists featured. Many are old and/or boring, but amazingly the
Beatles are included. As they have  only just been released on CD this is
hard to believe unless it turns out to be one of the albums of material from
their Berlin days. Anyway, I did find the album 'Rave on' by Andy White - a
kind of cross between Bob Dylan and Billy Bragg. He's a singer-songwriter
from N. Ireland and the lyrics reflect the situation out there. Well worth
a listen.

> From: IED re Third Ball
>Does this mean the "Let It Be" performance
>will be edited out of the future video and LP?? Oh, no!

Judging by past events I would think it unlikely that the complete show
would be on the LP or in any film. It is likely that one song/sketch
from each artist would be put out; so 'Let it be' could well end up on
the cutting room floor.

>From: seismo!rochester!ritcv!kxk8107
>On March 5, I bought an import album called "The World Won't
>Listen".  It has "Panic", "Ask", "London", and some new songs,
>along with "Bigmouth Strikes Again" and "The Boy With A Thorn In
>His Side" from "The Queen Is Dead".  I wonder if the album is
>the American version of this one.  However, the import album
>is just a single record, not a 2 record set.

The World Won't Listen, as released in G.B., is a compilation of recent
Smiths' singles, B-sides, remixes, 12" tracks etc. The LP contains only
one previously unreleased track, You Haven't earned it yet Baby. The CD
apparently contains two others. Many people are viewing the album as a
contractural obligation record before The Smiths leave Rough Trade and
move to EMI.

Any Spear of Destiny fans out there? They are back with a new single
called 'You'll never take me alive'. Good stuff.

Be seeing you.

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]