Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: All this KBS

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 12:07:00 EST
Subject: Re: All this KBS

> From: rhr@osupyr.UUCP (Robert Robinson)

>> [Me:] C'mon!  Get a brain!  Anyone who would say that "Kate Bush is
>> at best a marginal singer" is either just trying to be
>> argumentative or is brain-dead.  And there are enough famous
>> musicians who say that Kate Bush is a redefining force to make her
>> one.

> How many is "enough" Doug? I didn't see any names in your reply. Is
> enough supposed to be everyone that a person could like?

I don't really think it's worth bothering arguing with you, because
like I said before, your statement that "Kate Bush is at best a
marginal singer" is just outright ludicrous.  If you are going to
say that I am not flaming correctly because I have not provided every
factual piece of evidence to support my obviously true claims, then
you must be at least as guilty, since you have provided not a shred of
factual evidence for your ludicrous claims.

In any case, I didn't provide a list of musicians who have said that
Kate Bush is a very important musician, because this has all been
covered before.  I'm not going to go and dig up every last reference
for you, because I have no desire to do that much work for someone who
is either brain-dead or an argumentative asshole, but I can list a
fair number off of the top of my head.  Some musicians who have said
they think that Kate Bush is the best musician around: Todd Rundgren,
the lead singer of Venom, Freddie Mercury.  Some musicians who have
said that Kate Bush is a very influential musician: Peter Gabriel,
David Gilmour, Roy Harper, Tangerene Dream (said that Kate Bush is the
person currently doing the most interesting work with synthesizers),
Big Country, the lead singer of Depeche Mode, Simon le Bon, Nick
Rhodes, the bass player of Pat on the Back, Annie Lennox.  Some
musicians who have clearly been influenced by Kate Bush: Liz Frazer,
Throwing Muses, Lisa Dabello.  The list goes on...

>> No one is saying that you have to like her music, but at this point
>> it is close to undeniable that her music *is* great.  And we don't
>> love Kate as just a "singer".  She's also a fantastic composer,
>> lyricist, keyboardist, producer, coreographer, video designer and
>> director, etc.

> I like this one. I don't think that anyone has found a person whos
> music is undeniably great. Again, its all a matter of opinion. I
> could say that Sylvester Stallone is an undeniably good actor, but
> that would only be an opinion. Im sure that if I tried I could find
> "enough" people to say anything.

Bullpucky!  Beethoven was undeniably a great composer.  I don't even
like him that much, but his music contained a level of innovation and
power such that it had a great affect on a wide spectrum of musicians,
critics, and normal people.  This *makes* Beethoven a great composer.
Likewise, Kate Bush's music has had a profound effect on a vast number
of people and has gathered an intensely dedicated following among a
wide spectrum of musicians, critics, and normal people.  This makes
Kate a great musician.

			"They look down at the ground, missing"