Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

> Other topics... Congrats to IED for showing that he can use the
>first person (I know some of you will say he just did a global
>substitute of "I" for "he", but that's just sour grapes), now let's
>work on the verbs a little.  As far as what IED stands for... This
>seems to get some people irate and I for one fail to understand why.
>If the man wants to call himself the King of Prussia who the f*ck
>cares?  It really doesn't make any difference and it certainly doesn't
>hurt anyone.  Use of the third person doesn't make his points any less
>valid; he's willing to stand for and defend his points and
>(occasionally) has been known to take some points back.  And while he
>is a fanatic about Kate, he doesn't mind if you think she sucks or
>believe that listening to her music is hazardous to your eardrums, as
>long as you state that that's your belief and not a categorical
>statement!

IED hasn't anything to say about this. He just wanted to
see it in Love-Hounds two days in a row.

>Maybe we can put the whole subject to rest by holding a
>"What IED stands for" contest.  We could all submit our entries and
>let IED choose the best entry. (IED: I hope you don't decide to
>electronically impale me for suggesting this; I think it'd be fun; my
>own entry: "I Envy Doug".)

You're more than welcome to use the moniker as you see fit -- this
is a public forum, and IED takes the same risks as everyone else in it.
("'Oy! 'e's a decent chap, 'e is!")
His only stipulation: Giraffes are ineligible to compete.
("Bloody 'ell.")

>It is also the culmination of all the
>efforts she has made on all the albums subsequent to the first, and side two
>makes her last album (_The Dreaming_) completely dispensable (except for those
>of you who love to program yourselves into really bummer realities).

Well, Doug, you showed admirable restraint in not responding to this
assessment! Alas, IED, as every L-H knows, is not so admirable as Doug.
It's odd enough preferring The Kick Inside to Hounds of Love, although
everyone is entitled to his opinion. Asserting that Hounds of Love
makes The Dreaming "completely dispensable" (sic), however, is sheer
folly. Dismissing (and with such eloquence!) The Dreaming as
nothing more than a collection of "really bummer realities"
is like discarding Gericault's Raft of the Medusa, or
Brahms's German Requiem, or Goya's Caprichos, or Picasso's Guernica,
or, in fact, a good fifty percent of the human race's best art as --
"a downer, dude".

>Side one is poppy.

If you had intended to use your adjective as a noun, it might
have been a rather striking description of Side Two. As you did
not, however, it is merely a meaningless, absurd over-simplification
of Side One.

>Whereas an experience of _The Dreaming_ seemed merely something
>any sane individual would want to avoid...

You give IED new reason to be thankful that he is not quite
so far gone as to be "any sane individual".

>For those who are still pondering why Andrew Marvick refers to himself
>in the third person as IED, I have dragged this statement of last May
>by him out of the Love-Hounds archives:

>>    Partly out of a feeling of empathy for such a means of
>>    justifying one's obsessions, I have chosen to adopt Reich's
>>    pedantic forms and ponderous style in dealing with the work of
>>    Kate Bush, since this kind of obsessive interest in another
>>    person's life and work is better disguised, I think, when
>>    couched in the dry-as-dust language of the Orgonotic scholar.

> |>oug

Thanks again, Doug. As those who are interested will understand from
the above statement, IED's Bushological style is the result of his
fascination with -- and imprisonment within -- the legacy of Western
scholarship; a corpus of work which, arguably, finds its most
compelling, frightening and disturbing expression in the late
publications of the Orgonon Press. In his last years Wilhelm
Reich published, in faultlessly learned and footnoted fashion,
some of the most shockingly psychotic, yet disquietingly beautiful
theoretical papers that IED has ever found. It is unlikely that
anyone could, after reading them, hear "Cloudbusting" in quite the
same way again. (N.B.: For hardcore Kate fans only.)

Now, some KTrivia. The latest (January 12?) issue of Billboard
shows The Whole Story up another nine places in the LP charts,
at No. 106. Keep fingers crossed, those who are commercially minded.
Those who like their charts light, breezy and full of cheap
sensationalism may take heart in the knowledge that Cashbox puts
the LP well up in the Seventies.

And for those who like to speculate about Nirvana for the slightest
of reasons, race your brains on this:

Along with EMI's announcement that the first four UK Beatles LPs
would definitely be released on CD in the next couple of months
(which declaration became a headliner on "Entertainment Tonight"
and the networks' evening news shows) was the additional promise
that OTHER EMI artists -- Kate Bush specifically mentioned among
them -- would also now become available on CD. Whether this
means only that the same LPs that are already out as import CDs will now
become available as domestic products (EMI-America has an
operating plant in the States), or that Never For Ever and
The Dreaming are really going to appear on the compact horizon,
or both, is anyone's guess, for now. But what can it hurt to dream?

-- Andrew Marvick