Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 86 14:39:10 GMT

>Greetings, Love-Hounds, from IED0DXM.
>
>Today's issue of the Daily Variety included
>a review of the film "Castaway".
>The movie itself stars Oliver Reed and a young British
>starlet named (if IED remembers correctly) Amanda Donahoe. It is
>directed (and here's why Kate probably got involved in
>the movie) by Ken Russell, who is known to have made
>one of the movies Kate was moved and inspired by,

Actually, 'Castaway', which opened this year's London Film Festival,
was directed by NICHOLAS ROEG ( Man Who Fell to Earth, Insignificance,
Bad Timing etc.) and NOT Ken Russell! However, Russell did direct
the film 'Gothic' which closed the London Film Festival!

Anyway, 'Castaway' does star Ollie Reed (as Gerald Kingsland) and
Amanda Donohoe (as Lucy Irving). I have only seen clips so I cannot
comment on the Kate connection but can confirm that the aforementioned
Ms Donohoe seems to have forgotten to pack a suitcase when she went
to the island!

Gothic stars Gabriel Byrne (Defence of the Realm) as Byron, Julian
Sands (Room with a View) as Shelley and Natasha Richardson (daughter
of Vanessa Redgrave) as Mary Shelley - in addition to some baboons (sounds
like a fairly typical Russell movie)! The music is by Thomas Dolby.

>Doug, can you explain why not even "Don't Give Up" has
>been shown on MTV? We're not naive enough to be expecting
>a screening of "Experiment IV" yet from that evil corporation,
>but wouldn't you think the follow-up video from a Recent-Number-
>One-in-the-U.S.A.-artist like Gabriel would get shown once in
>a while, even if it WASN'T the U.S. follow-up single? Or is
>IED all wrong, and they've actually been showing it alot?
>One reviewer said in reference to Kate's appearance that it
>was "treacly" or summat like that.

The video has not been shown very much in the UK - I only saw it
once on 'Top of the Pops' - our weekly chart show. I must admit
it was not one of the most inspiring videos. Peter and Kate are
entwined in each others arms (facing each other) and they or the
camera revolve so that the one who is singing at the time
is face-on to the camera and the non-singer is facing in the opposite
direction. And thats about it.