Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New stuff: ... / Joe Jackson

From: Henry Mensch <henry@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 86 16:35:56 -0500
Subject: Re: New stuff: ... / Joe Jackson

>> The way I heard it, all shows were done in New York.  Several rehearsals
>> were done to get the mixes down before the shows were put before a live
>> audience.  When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
>> were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep absolutely
>> quiet until each song was completely finished.  All songs, if I remember
>> rightly, except for "Man in the Street" which was recorded during a
>> rehearsal session, went straight from the stage onto the master digital
>> recording, and I believe no mixing took place after the shows.

None of this is true; he held some of these shows in Southern New
Jersey (for Philadelphia fans), in Boston, and in other places.  As
part of one of his New York audiences, I can say that we didn't know a
THING about the fact that he was taping his music live.

I don't think a performer has a right to inflict such bullshit on an
audience; if he wanted to have quiet he should record in a studio.

-- Henry / <henry@athena.mit.edu>