Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: New stuff: ... / Joe Jackson

From: brspyr1!tim%dartvax.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Tim Northrup)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 86 02:56:47 edt
Subject: Re: New stuff: ... / Joe Jackson
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

> >> Joe Jackson  "Big World"
>
> >> Started out brilliantly, a fusion of his early guitar-based energy and
> >> later musical sophistication, but lost me somewhere along the line.
> >> I'll have to listen to it some more (just got it today) to really be
> >> able to grok its fullness.  (Love the DDD sound, tho.)
>
> The best part about this album is the environment in which it was
> produced.  Jackson held several unannounced (more-or-less) concerts
> across the country, and attempted to make the album by taking down the
> music live at the concert.  All fine and good, except he kept shushing
> up the audience ...
>
> Saw 'im in New York,
> -- Henri / <henry@athena.mit.edu>

The way I heard it, all shows were done in New York.  Several rehearsals
were done to get the mixes down before the shows were put before a live
audience.  When the people came into the auditorium for the show, they
were handed a handwritten note (or copies) asking them to keep absolutely
quiet until each song was completely finished.  All songs, if I remember
rightly, except for "Man in the Street" which was recorded during a
rehearsal session, went straight from the stage onto the master digital
recording, and I believe no mixing took place after the shows.

The sound quality stands up quite well against "Body & Soul", which
I think is also DDD.

 Tim Northrup		(518) 783-1161

 BRS Information Technologies			...!ihnp4!dartvax!brspyr1!tim
 1200 Route 7					...!seismo!rpics!brspyr1!tim
 Latham, NY  12110				tim@brspyr1.UUCP

======== INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER FORM 43Z892-BXY/86.3 HERE =============

"Yes, it's spelled `Luxury-Yacht',
 but it's pronounced `Throat-Warbler Mangrove'!" -- MPFC